advertisement

[FS] NOS Tannoy Cheviot Legacy Speakers with 'Mainly Tannoy' external crossovers.

effinity

pfm Member
Tannoy Cheviot Legacy Speakers with External Crossovers and other differences.
Part of my current downsizing drive.

I’ve got these listed as used although more correctly the Walnut cabinets and 12” Drivers are NOS (new old stock) which came directly from the Tannoy factory in Coatbridge Nr Glasgow when it closed down a couple of years ago after Tannoy brand was taken over by Music Tribe and moved abroad.

The story starts for me when over a few months early last year I aquired 3 x boxed brand new (nos) Tannoy Legacy Cheviot Walnut cabinets and a boxed pair of brand new (nos) Legacy Cheviot 12” drivers as seperate parts from respective sellers who'd bought from the closedown I assume.

I ended up with 3 cabinets because I bought the 1 on it's own first being prepared to wait for a second, then the pair came up so I grabbed those. When the pair sells there will be a spare cabinet left over.

These are the much lauded Tulip Wave Guide drivers.

The bass is deep for the size of enclosure, Tannoy got it right with just the right cabinet volume.

“The enclosure follows the original Cheviot design but benefits from new high density materials not available back in the 70’s. The resulting cabinet provides extreme rigidity to control low frequency performance and boasts extensive bracing incorporating DMT (Differential Materials Technology) for proper driver coupling.”

The aim was to also aquire the rear terminals, internal crossovers along with the front mounted energy control panel from Tannoy sources in UK or anywhere really. However these 3x pairs of items have proved impossible, for me at least, to obtain.

Hence I have solved this problem by using two of Mainly Tannoys excellent crossovers using ESA Clarity capacitors and other fine parts, including a tuning control, mounted on a pcb board which I have fitted into two boxes as seen in the photographs.

The crossover boxes have a catch for easy access to the tuning control.

The fixing method onto the rear panel is a simple Velcro affair which is very sturdy and provides good grip, the crossover box is firm and steadily attached to the rear.

I prepared the cabinets, fitted the 2 drivers in straight from their shipping boxes and connected the crossovers just a month ago now so that’s how old the completed project is.

I listened to them for a couple of hours a day over a couple of weeks with my valve pre and a Quad 306 power and am very happy with the sound, no doubt it will continue to improve. I've been very tempted to invest in a new power amp but i'm downsizing remember! Usual rules, better the sources and accompanying equipment and these speakers will hit the heights, no doubt about that.

I’ve had several pairs of Tannoy speakers Hpd’s and Golds 15” & 12” over many years, including a pair of Legacy Arden’s in the last 3yrs so I’m very familiar with what Tannoys should sound like and these I have put together with the obvious modifications to standard shop bought Legacy Cheviots, thanks to Mainly Tannoy beyond excellent crossovers, sound superb!

Out of the 3 cabinets I have I’ve chosen the two that go together best despite that small mark on the rear edge of one which looks like a small knock, see photo.

Other than that they’re perfect and brand new looking with that wonderful Walnut finish which I’ve treated with beeswax for an extra lift, in the flesh they look superb.

BTW some weird light reflecting on the grilles and other surfaces, in real life the tones and colours are all very uniform.

They get my double thumbs up and I’m happy to play them with pride and more importantly pass them on with confidence to their owner who I’m sure will love them too if you would care to step forward?

Apologies for any repeat or similar photos, some do look samey, i'm trying present all the angles, please allow for light differentials, in the flesh they both look stunning!

Once again, as with other speakers i'm selling, they're on eBay, these are priced at 4,125 GBP and I'll be happy to discuss a PFM price via PM if you'd like to contact me.

11-FC4-A3-B-2732-473-D-B177-1-B91805-EC91-A.jpg

50-AACB4-C-AC8-C-4-F83-B46-B-9-B79-C8-DE0-E0-F.jpg

41-D4-DD51-58-DF-42-FB-A220-13-F3-AF6-FA1-E3.jpg

3289-DB5-D-6-CED-4-B9-B-B9-D8-EEF8-C9-FA7-DB6.jpg

64-AFD3-E3-0-AEB-4219-B473-6726-DFEDF24-B.jpg

FA8-D4-AA6-695-D-4-F17-8190-98-D57-E6-DA248.jpg

0-DD37796-4-ABB-473-F-A846-2-ADF65-D99-B7-C.jpg

E10-C4307-ED48-40-B5-B4-B0-91-C7284-D67-B2.jpg

2-C6650-FF-D5-C0-4-E16-8-E43-1020374-B966-C.jpg

D0-D20169-6755-42-A4-9-F40-C4654-B1-B2064.jpg

C35-C9-E7-B-111-D-4620-A0-E0-853-A5-C5978-DC.jpg

EB22-ACC3-F379-4686-8-E82-B02-E2-BB63-EC6.jpg

C32-E899-E-1-C78-4541-AE3-A-33-B9-DF08-FDCB.jpg

1-B65754-A-F7-CC-498-A-81-D4-D65-AC2-B0226-E.jpg

CADC98-AE-67-A5-4-FF7-B579-5-BD2-FA492-B7-A.jpg

D0-D20169-6755-42-A4-9-F40-C4654-B1-B2064.jpg

876-C0-D8-F-39-B1-44-BD-BBB2-5551-CD1-CDF2-E.jpg

82-E41883-CE04-4326-962-D-E915-CD35882-E.jpg

2-C44-F8-F5-BF45-4882-A11-A-B7277-C5-F892-D.jpg

50-AACB4-C-AC8-C-4-F83-B46-B-9-B79-C8-DE0-E0-F.jpg

They look incredible!
Thanks!

They sound exceptionally good too, in a comparison I’d like to think of these sounding better than the standard Cheviot Legacy’s due to the seemingly higher quality components in the ‘Mainly Tannoy’ external crossover PCB.

BIN price adjustment, open for talks here if anyone has a hankering, maybe a relaxed listen would tempt you?

No problem to keep and enjoy these in the short term but downsizing is definitely downsizing I’ve come to realise so do feel free to endow yourself with a remarkable hifi experience, full range heaven!

I’m not totally unsurprised no one has come forward for these, given the times we’re in and especially the choices out there within the same price bracket. Ok these are non standard with the external crossovers and sans the treble energy and roll off adjustments which come housed in a brass control plate on the front plate of the factory norm models. This is addressed partially on mine, as Mainly Tannoy have incorporated a treble adjustment control within the XO circuit which can be seen in my photos of XO box innards, which I love looking at actually.

Anyway this is not sour grapes, far from it, I love these speakers and having sold my Geithain active system the Tannoys are centre stage in my one and only main system where I do the conventional sitting in the sweet spot during the essential ‘me’ time.

My signal here then is that I’m withdrawing the Cheviots from sale, especially as I’ve now got a new to me AVM Ovation SA 6.2 power amp in the mix which has cheered me up no end! :-D

Inevitably I will still have to downsize but until that actually happens I’m just going to enjoy the setup and explore as much music as I can in the time allowed.

Confusingly, to me anyway, other Tannoy Legacy (Arden/Cheviot) bargains available online have not sold either it seems.

If anyone is interested in Cheviot Legacy’s there is a pair on Ebay at a great price, no mods totally original, begging a new home, you’ll have seen them I’m sure!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13451407...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

In the meantime here’s a review I hadn’t seen previously just to round off the thread.

https://www.resistormag.com/reviews/review-tannoy-cheviot-legacy-edition-loudspeakers/

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My modified Tannoy Cheviot Legacy speakers are available for sale again after enjoying a further 7 months of listening pleasure and now offering here for £3750

Check them out if interested by scrolling up for the photos and provenance.

It might be helpful to describe how you've sealed the holes where the front panel and rear terminals would have been.
Sure, easy enough, at the front it’s a stiff foam tight fitting rectangular plug covered by the baffle stickers as shown.

At rear a similar stiff foam plug with a slit to allow XO to speaker terminal leads in, then covered by the XO boxes on each speaker.

advertisement

Back