advertisement

NOOB ALERT - My (long) intro

Midfi-Man

United We Stand!
Hi Guys!
I rediscovered pfm earlier this week (having 'lurked' to find answers to 'audio queries', years ago) when conducting a search to 'price-up' one of my amps (JVC AX-5), to find that one of our members is/was looking for one. So I signed up - then, following years of membership elsewhere, I checked in with the current 'mod-on-duty', to find out the 'lay-of-the-land', so to speak. So, 'Ian' told me about three things:
1. Noobs can't sell! :D (until, as I understand it, 50 legit posts and 90 days of membership have transpired)
2. All would have been found in the FAQs :D (Which I have now located)
3. Ian runs a very 'no-exceptions' type of ship (heartily agreed with by yours truly)

So, I've been a 'wannabe-audiophile' for 'decades'. I've still got a few LPs, of which I'd like more; but don't play enough of. I've got slightly more cds and play those a lot more, but still not often enough. However, I get my main dosage of music from internet and FM radio, plus Y/Tube (not to mention 'Alexa', via an iFi Zen Blue, into my main 2-channel amp).

My equipment, per my chosen name, is mostly 'mid-fi', to my mind - I've bought quite a few 'bits and pieces' (modest budget) on returning to the UK from Canada, in 2009. Selling-off my 'shtuff' before leaving Canada was 'traumatic', to say the least; but looking forward to starting 'afresh', spurred me on. My current 'motley-crew' includes:
(Note: Sorry about length - am not yet able to provide attachments, I believe)

Primary System:
Sansui AU-719 Integrated Amplifier, Recapped, 10 years ago ~ working well; MA Silver RS6s f/s Speakers ~ working well; Marantz CD-5001 cdp ~ working well; Pioneer PL-12D TT ~ 'Trundling' along; Sony ST-530ES Tuner ~ working well.

Second System:
Audio Innovations Series 300 MK I (Tube Amp) ~ In for service/repair; KEF Chorale III bookshelf speakers with stands ~ working well; Technics SL-PG320A cdp ('MASH') ~ working well.

Bedroom System:
Pioneer SX-838 Receiver ~ Recapped 12 years ago, 'phonos' now not working (sounds fantastically 'mellow'!); Celestion Ditton 33 f/s Speakers ~ Some scratches / working well.

'Standing by':
Awai ADF410 Stereo Cassette Deck ~ 'Parts'; Goodmans Magnum K f/s Speakers With (cool) Custom Stands ~ working well; Hitachi SR-802 Stereo Receiver ~ TBA (it's been a while); JVC AX-5 Integrated Amplifier ~ working well; JVC TX-3Tuner ~ working well; KEF Concerto f/s Speakers ~ Some scratches / working well; Marantz ST4000 Tuner ~ working well; Sansui AU-217 Integrated Amplifier ~ Recapped (but, one year later, LH channel 'quieter' than RH); Sansui TU-D99X Tuner ~ working well; Trio KA-4002a (x2 - one HP jack not working) Integrated Amplifier ~ working well; Trio KT-2001a Tuner ~ working well.

Ancillaries in current use:
Colorfly C3 (!) DAP; Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2 h/p amp; Grado SR-60s; HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Async USB DAC x2; iPod Shuffle [3rd Gen.] DAP; iRiver IFP-799 DAP; JDS Labs USB O2 DAC; JVC HA-FXT90s; Koss KPH30i; Little Dot Mk III, tube h/p amp; Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel, quad-core i7, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM; Sennheiser HD580s; Sennheiser PX-100s; Sony MDR V6s...

My 'sob-story' from Canada, back in 2009 was:

* Luxman R117 – Fantastic-performer [160 wpc]. Complete with remote! [Bought new by me in ‘91 and still have the boxes, manuals and ‘reviews’!]
* Luxman F114 [Google it!] – Surround-sound processor/ amp
* Luxman K112 – Hi-spec. cassette deck
* Energy ‘Reference 22’ speakers – excellent!!! I bought them along with the Luxman R117, in ‘91 [and still have the boxes, manuals and ‘reviews’!] Still used, at least, every weekend
* Realistic STA 2300 [120 wpc] – Excellent! One cool monster
* Sansui Model # 6 Receiver- My little [home-office] favorite! Some cosmetic blemishes but sounds really great [‘mellow’]
* Toshiba SA 520 – Great performer, bought it new in ‘77 but someone’s ‘whipped’ [pinched?] the tuner-knob
* Akai 1135 – As my ‘techie’ said when he calibrated the tuner: “That’s a ballsy little receiver”
* Realistic STA “437” – A surprisingly good little performer, however a connection inside is ‘on-again-off-again’ loose
* H/K 730 – Sounds great!
* H/K 930 – Sometimes sounds better than all the others put together. Sometimes the lights flicker and the right channel dies [sometimes!] and two of the knurled knobs not standard
* H/K 630 – Sounds really good, however a connection inside is ‘on-again-off-again’ loose [all knobs authentic & match the H/K 930]
* H/K – ‘Varnished’ wooden case for H/K [930/630 etc]
* Pioneer SLD M90 Laser Disc/ 5-CD Changer – Perfect – ‘mellow’ sound
* Akai GX 4000D – Reel-to-Reel – Really good condition, with speed-change bush in place; and approx 50 pre-recorded tapes
* Two pairs of Dynaco 25 speakers – Cosmetically good [not excellent], however they do sound really great! I listen to them for most of the day [through the Sansui Model 6]
* One excellent pair of EPI 100 V speakers
* One pair of great-looking/ great sounding Realistic T100 [semi-tower] speakers
* One pair of Minimus Seven’s I bought them new in the early ‘90’s. Hardly used [really!]
* One pair of Vintage "Sonics" model AS-331, three-ways with horn-tweeters
* One pair of Advance 7 - 26” tall – 2-way speakers with newly re-foamed 10” woofers
* One pair of KEF K140 bookshelf speakers in good condition
* One pair of Advent “The Speaker(s)” – definitely need re-foaming
* One pair of ‘scuffed’ bookshelf-speakers – three-way 120 wpc, made in East Germany [old “GDR”] – sound good/powerful
* Two turntables, not working – one Dual CS 505-2 [loose wire, I believe], one Sony
* One big JVC “Kaboom Box” – better than A1, with remote
* Various speaker-stands

Hope that's not 'too' long.

Cheers, Dave / mfm

I honestly thought the standard practice to get your posts up was either the gentle "what are you listening to now" on the music area or resurrection of an old cable "discussion" with some forthright views. Still, refreshing idea this, welcome to pfm (again) and carry on!

I honestly thought the standard practice to get your posts up was either the gentle "what are you listening to now" on the music area or resurrection of an old cable "discussion" with some forthright views. Still, refreshing idea this, welcome to pfm (again) and carry on!
Cheers 'nobeone', I'm familiar with 'What are you listening to now' type-threads, having enthusiastically participated in such elsewhere. Some of my initial 50 posts may well include these, once my first 90 days of membership are satisfactorily completed.
As for cables, I may lay some; but I rarely mention any specifics.

advertisement

Back