advertisement

NOMINATE A DEALER

James at Tom Tom and Norman and Ian at UHES in Stroud would get my vote and full endorsements!
Richard

Agree with the endorsement for UHES, Norman and Ian are great to deal with. I went to drop an LP12 off to be serviced, was there three hours and had a listen to just about everything they had, and much the same when I picked it up a few days later.

Sound Cinergy in Aldridge, run and owned by Clive. I have dealt with Clive for a number of years and would highly recomend him. The only person I trust to service my LP12. One of the last few independent hifi dealers in the west Midlands.

Agree - exemplary distance customer service (I am in Scotland) when I purchased Roksan Caspian amp from SC and Clive dealt with me.

"Audio Emotion" in Leven. They sell expensive items and I just went to arrange small repair for Roksan tuner. First rate, friendly service (from Gay and bro.) and time to listen to you talk about your personal tastes in hifi and music. Highly recommended!

A slight glitch with my Arcam pre-amp (started to switch itself off at random) meant it had to go back for a warrantee fix. However the dealer I bought it from is no longer in business, so I contacted Soundcraft in Ashford who have been excellent, even loaning me an amp to replace it while it's off being fixed.

10/10

Sonddek, if you use one dealer for free demonstrations and then buy from another, it's hardly surprising that your 'free demo' dealer feels you are wasting their time - because you absolutely are.

Perhaps you should have a read of the freedom of information act (it doesn't cover serial numbers).

The LP12 platter would spin up considerably faster if it weighed as little as that of the 1200; but don't let that effect your prejudices.

Frankly, it strikes me that dealers are not the only ones capable of talking nonsense.

Darren, but you are their Internet shop assistant, it's nice that you are so supportive of your employers though....

+1 for the Audio Counsel. They're great, really know their stuff. Very straightforward and good to deal with and have always been right w/ regard to their recommendations.

I have already recommended 'proper' dealers but I will be pursuing my hobby via the likes of misterc6 of this parish who provided me with a fantastic pair of 'new' mono Naim 110s.
My dealers of the future will be found here and not in the trade section.

Graham Tricker at GT Audio gets my vote and also lots of my cash.

I have been a customer now for twenty years and he is extremely knowledgable, patient and not at all pushy. If valves and high efficiency speakers are your Nirvana, then I don’t think there is anyone better in the UK.

Aside from his own flagship state of the art TRON amplifiers, he carries many truly high end, yet musical brands. I don’t know of any other dealer who would answer the phone on a sunday or in the evening. His advice is always free and he undersells.

I used to work in the hi-fi business back in the early 1980s, so I understand what it takes to be a good dealer.

Around 6 years ago I came into a bit of money and wanted to spend around £7,500 on a system. I went round loads of hi fi dealers with very mixed feelings. I wanted to listen to Electrostatic speakers so tried quads at the time which were way too quiet and nice sounding for me. After not liking the system the dealer put together I asked what cone speakers I could try but was told I had to go and no attempt to make another appointment was made!!! I won't mention who they are but they didn't get the 7.5 grand.
I tried a few others who were helpfull but couldn't give me what I really wanted to hear.
Eventually I made an appointment with
http://www.midlandaudiox-change.co.uk/
Quite a journey for me from Bradford. I was made to feel extremely welcome by people who were passionate about music. I was shown round the whole place and not given any time limit at all. I spent most of the day there listening. The system they put together for me blew me away and even two years later they still helped me out when my CD player was faulty.
MAX are by far the best Hi fi dealer I have visited.

I would recommend Phonography, both Andy and Phil. (Phil is especially helpful with his turntable knowledge)

I would also recommend Deco Audio and Cymbiosis.

I have had less satisfactory personal experiences with the Audio Consultants and Midland Audio Exchange.

Doug Brady HiFi near Warrington. I've been a semi-regular customer of Doug's since 1977. Never pushy, always helpful. Good demo facilities and home-dems available.

Hamish

I bought my system a bit at a time from Chris Brooks in Warrington.
He gave me first class service even though I was only spending a small amount and now after 20 odd years I am still 100% happy with it so he must be doing something right.

advertisement

Back