advertisement

NOMINATE A DEALER

Avonessence

Hiking Consistency Rapporteur
HIFI DEALER's ONLY

This type of thread has been done to death over on the dark side, but please put your nominations forward for a dealer that gives 110%+ in service and back-up.

My nomination is The Audio Counsel in Cheadle, Manchester.

Faultless service at all times, bends over backwards to ensure that the system is a good balance, and that it is installed and sounding at its best.
Will also come out to re-install systems if you have moved house, or changed the room due to redecoration or relocation into another room in the house.

Great bunch of guys with a sense of humour, which is often lacking elsewhere.

The best dealer for me is no dealer: factory direct from AVI.

Why bother with shop assistants when one can get all information direct from the manufacturer?

Audio Counsel +1

Purchased my first true Hi Fi component (Rega Planar III) from Dave at the Audio Counsel in ~1982 whilst I was a student at Manchester University.

Many things have changed since then, including living South of London - but the Audio Counsel in Cheadle, whilst not exactly local, remains my dealer.

Honest and sincere in their views and great service.

Richard

James at Tom Tom - wouldn't go anywhere else, personal service and communication is superb
Martin

Robert Ritchie of Robert Ritchie hifi in Montrose. Great listening rooms and he is happy for a customer to spend time just trying various things for hours. Has opened late for me, lent me anything I fancied trying and travelled the 50 miles to my house from his early Sunday morning to deliver and set up kit. Also not one of those guys who recommends something for the sake of it or because he is a dealer for partic company. It's a rest way to spend a day at his shop and I get withdrawal symptoms if I haven't been for a while.

Another vote for The Audio Counsel. Known Dave for 30+ years, since the Cleartone days:eek:, fantastic service with integrity which is I guess what has kept the business going all these years.

Another 1 for Dave and Brian at the Audio Counsel in Cheadle. First used them in the 80s when I bought my first proper system from their Oldham shop, which was installed at my home.

I have recently had to get new speakers due to house move as existing ones sounded terrible due to hard floors and different layout.

After explaining problem to Dave he came up with a realistically priced suggestion and said to try it in situ. The suggestion worked brilliantly so I bought the Rega's.

Recently Brian talked me through the installation of phono boards in a secondhand 52 which I had purchased from a private sale.
Good service and advice all round. And pleasant chaps to boot.

Robert Ritchie of Robert Ritchie hifi in Montrose. Great listening rooms and he is happy for a customer to spend time just trying various things for hours. Has opened late for me, lent me anything I fancied trying and travelled the 50 miles to my house from his early Sunday morning to deliver and set up kit. Also not one of those guys who recommends something for the sake of it or because he is a dealer for partic company. It's a rest way to spend a day at his shop and I get withdrawal symptoms if I haven't been for a while.

A true turntable expert and and all round great guy. The shop has one of the best stocks I've seen too. This dealer experience restored my faith in hifi retailers.

Votes too for Definitive Audio and Cymbiosis for stuff bought over the phone- great service from both.

Phonography near Winchester - Phil and Andy are both great and Phil especially gives great honest advice. In fact Phil started me off on my hifi exploration.

The Sound Organisation in York, they have put up with since I was a young teenager who I'm sure they must have known could not afford the things I was asking about! Have always been excellent with letting me try stuff at home and have helped me with lots of things that hadn't been bought from them - or indeed they have never sold! When I have had problems they have always sorted them out, and taken me at my word and in one case replaced a CD player three times despite neither them nor the manufacturer being able to replicate the fault before finally we gave up and they gave me a credit for the full price towards a different player.

There are obviously a few really good dealers dotted around as one can tell from the comments on here. Phonography are incomparable - not saying they have no equals, but they are the business.

I am a particularly difficult customer. A recent example: I have a well known low producion esoteric pre-and-power amp set up. Recently, I didnt think it sounded right. Took it in to Phil, who agreed. Back to the importer it went - importer said nothing wrong. Phil would not accept this, and put me on to an electronic engineer who virtually tested every component inside the amp, and duly found the fault(s); fixed and now at home happily singing better than ever. (All at cost to me of a fraction over £100 - the amp is 7 years old so not exactly a manufacturers guarantee issue).

This to me was an example of a dealer going the extra mile. It helps that Phil is a musician and knows what music should sound like!!

Audio T in Swansea- Nic Forbes the manager I've known for years, he basically knows my system inside out and knows what I am after soundwise.....I haven't got the bottle to admit to him I bought a TeddyCap and an interconnect from Avi in Israel, I feel like a traitor for not giving him the business- Does anyone else feel this way when you purchase something from elsewhere other than your dealer??

Eugene HiFi in Eugene, Oregon...simply the best. The goal at Eugene HiFi is to help the customer get the most out of their music and the customer service ethic is second to none.

advertisement

Back