advertisement

Noktor HyperPrime

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
It's been ages since I've bought a new lens -- either really new or just new to me -- as I have as many hunks of glass as I'd ever need.

But this super-fast 50mm lens would be tempting if made in other mounts, Nikon F in my case.

Anyone tried one on a micro 4/3rd camera, the only mount for which the lens is currently available?

Joe

interesting ....

given that I've never heard of them it would have to be exceptional to compete with the Voigtlander Nokton which is, I suppose marginally slower.

Cliff

rather surprising, considering the problems most lens manufacturer's seem to have with making APS-C fast glass compared with their past efforts at FF size, that someone should come out with one in M4/3rds... o_O

I hate to think about trying to focus that - a 50mm F1.2 has a microscopically shallow DoF that's a swine to use even with focus-trapping by all accounts...

rather surprising, considering the problems most lens manufacturer's seem to have with making APS-C fast glass compared with their past efforts at FF size, that someone should come out with one in M4/3rds... o_O

I hate to think about trying to focus that - a 50mm F1.2 has a microscopically shallow DoF that's a swine to use even with focus-trapping by all accounts...

Actually the smaller sensor size makes this sort of thing much easier to manage.

For example, comparing portrait shots with different formats:

4/3rds, 50/1.2 @ 2m gives DOF of 6cm
35mm, 100/2 @ 2m gives DOF of 5cm
6*7MF, 180/2.8 @ 2m gives DOF of 4cm

The above will all give the same framing give or take, so you see the f1.2 is (relatively) easy to handle. Actually, the other way of looking at it is that all of the above are hard to use properly.

I often get one eye in focus with close head crops with a 50/1.8 on 35mm since the model isn't standing quite straight on, and one eye is out of the DOF.

Cesare,

I'm guessing it's not got a very big image circle if they only make it for micro 4/3rds.
That was my thought as well, but the company has set up a poll on the website to gauge interest in a Noktor in other camera mounts so I assume they are contemplating releasing other versions of the 50mm f/1.1 lens.

If the Noktor will be made for other cameras, I hope they'll be doing more than just changing the mount.

Anyway, looks to be a nice piece of glass, but I’ll probably pass unless the Noktor beats the pants off the 55mm f/1.2 Nikkor I picked up for $100 a few years ago. (The Nikkor is very good at f/2 and excellent at f/2.8, but it's a bit soft and vignettey wide open. Shooting at f/1.2 could be a strength, though, if you're after a Holga-like aesthetic.)

Joe

Anyway, looks to be a nice piece of glass, but I’ll probably pass unless the Noktor beats the pants off the 55mm f/1.2 Nikkor I picked up for $100 a few years ago. (The Nikkor is very good at f/2 and excellent at f/2.8, but it's a bit soft and vignettey wide open. Shooting at f/1.2 could be a strength, though, if you're after a Holga-like aesthetic.)

Joe

You know you really need F1 don't you Joe

Nikkor 50/1.2

P1000417.jpg

Noctilux 50/1.0

P1000420.jpg

both shot using mft adapters and a lumix gf-1, by the way

Darren,

IIRC it isn't a new design but a modified CCTV camera lens.
Maybe so, but Noktor HyperPrime sounds way cooler.

-------------------------

Cliff,

No question about it. The Noctilux is better, but you're telling this to a skint bastard who bought a fast prime for $100 out of curiousity.

Owning a Noctilux is not, and likely will never be, a possibility for me.

Joe

Cliff,

Owning a Noctilux is not, and likely will never be, a possibility for me.

Joe

That's the point of this new lens isn't it? To make F1 and below a possibility for less than the price of the Leica. When you move from F1.2 to F1 and below on a 4/3rds system the change in DOF is like night and day. I suspect your Nikkor will beat this new lens in the colour fidelity and contrast stakes.

Cliff,

Sorry, I thought you were saying I should get the Leica Noctilux.

Joe

When you move from F1.2 to F1 and below on a 4/3rds system the change in DOF is like night and day.
Hmm, I see differences in how the lenses hand the out of focus areas, but DOF? At 3 feet it's 0.37 in vs 0.44 in, or in metric at 1m 1.14 vs 1.36 cm, i.e. 2.2mm.

well, Dan, we're back onto Circles of confusion again. Only the objects in the focal plane at the focus distance are in focus everything else is out of focus. The quality of the lens helps you to resolve some of the points that are OOF as smooth circles and not, for instance doughnuts. A lens with softer in focus areas will tend to give an apparent shallower DOF. It's not all down to the maths.

But, by my reckoning for a circle of confusion of 0.015mm and on a micro 4/3rds sensor, a 50mm F1 lens has 0.67" DOF at 4feet and at F1.2 you have 0.8" which is quite a bit when you're shooting flowers ;-)

advertisement

Back