advertisement

Noisy Naim NAP-250 Question

Bad Parameter

pfm Member
Got a slight frying egg/rushing water sound coming out of the speakers w/o signal. I recapped the 1998 250 recently with Kendeils, didn't know about replacing the 10mf e-caps on the regulators that I read about on PFM until afterwards. Noise is slight and I can play the hifi fine until I order up the proper reg. caps. Just want to make sure it's not something that can lead to quick catastrophic failure that could damage the output section and worse send DC to the speakers. Also, noise is exactly, perfectly, even on both channels, odd that the e-caps or any components would degrade in such harmonious tandem. System is Spendor SP1/2/102/HC/NAPSC/250/MacMini/temp very cheap Firestone DAC. DAC is a little hissy too.

Always the 10uF caps on the power supply board.

It won't cause catastrophic failure, your amp is a RF oscillator in the meantime. Some local Ham radio operators on the low frequency bands may get annoyed ;)*

*To be honest I've never checked this as I have only measured the fact that I had one oscillating around 1 and a bit MHz, this was long before I got my Ham license so never tested to see if I could hear it on any of the bands. My colleague tests these rather than myself these days.

Going off-topic a lot here - I had to correct the trainer when I was getting my foundation radio license - he maintained that only cheap HiFi got affected by stray radio signals. Hmmm, he never had a 250..

Ah, I thought if it oscillated I'd hear it, didn't think it'd be ultrasonic. I mess around w/ tube guitar amps, oscillations, especially ultrasonic ones rob power make them sound lousy. I don't have a scope but if an amp lacks vim I suspect an oscillation. Guess I should order some caps. Already know I need the ones with highish ESR. Thanks, love PFM.

Don't know about any Ham neighbours, didn't think Hams still existed in the internet era - CQ CQ. Haven't seen any bats though, hope they are ok.

advertisement

Back