advertisement

Noisy CD drawer - how to fix?

ex brickie

pfm Member
I have a Micromega Stage CD player but it's a bit sticky in the drawer dept - but worse than that, it is damn noisy. Any easy ways to quieten it or is it a dismantle job that requires some expertise to greae (or similar) it?? Cheers!

I still have the micromega stage 2.
After the tray is extended for loading, unplug the player, and then apply some good grease (I use some high temp lithium grease) to the toothed rail and the sliding surfaces with a toothpick dauber. Then open and close the tray several times. Worked for me every time. Once every two years or so.

IIRC theres a belt that'll need replacing. It's a simple job but does require the whole transport to be removed. This is done via three screws under the unit.

Thanks Kraut. As you've hinted, it is possible to get to the toothed rail under the tray. Can you (or anyone else) tell me any brand dnames of suitable grease please so I can do a search? I don't want to use something that can do more damage than the problem I'm trying to solve! Thanks

Si, I have access to all different belt sizes. I can arrange a various sizes pack if you like? Or Maplins do them too iirc. They're used for cc tape machines.

Castrol LM is a general purpose lithium grease such as kraut describs. I use it or an equivalent for everything - car wheel bearings (its official use), any and all bike bearings, cables of all descriptions, suspension components, hinges, locks...it's up there with gaffer tape and zip-ties as a universal fixing tool.

OK I've greased the toothed rails but no effect at all..... still very noisy.What are the sliding surfaces I should be greasing?

Next step?

Cheers!

It's not going to be sorted with grease. It's the belt on the wheel that slipping. Mine did exactly the same thing. You need a new belt, as the old one has expanded and is loose.

Hi all, I realise this thread is ancient but I found this today whilst trying to fix my annoyingly noisy but still working micromega Stage 4. It turned out that the bearing in the middle of the wheel that the rubber band drives was the culprit, a wee dab of grease on there and it's good as new! You need to slide the cd carrier right off (requires gently levering a stopper tab) and remove a wee plastic cover to access the bearing. Hope this helps someone out :)

Not sure what type of grease is best, but I recall that the common problem with old Arcam Alpha's disintegrating plastic drive gear was the lubricant that Arcam applied attacked the plastic. Result was shredded teeth, and the drawer stopped operating. Happened to my Alpha 5+, easily fixed with a new gear. I didn't lubricate the replacement.

My gear has failed on my alpha 5 - how do I get the transport out? Undone two screws at the front &done at the rear but still sims to be held by something ?
Phill

I to have a Micromega, in my case a CD132, it too is noisy. Not the drawer but I hear the lazer returning at the end of the cd. I don't let it worry me as it sounds so good when playing.

advertisement

Back