advertisement

Noise coming through the speakers via the amp...

BLACKMASS

pfm Member
Hi,
Looking for some advice please? I bought a new streamer and integrated amp last Friday.

I’ve noticed there is some noise, a click coming through the speakers when I turn the Exposure 3010S2D integrated amp on. It’s only been minor until last night…

I turned the system off at the wall socket. (The system is connect via a mains strip). The reason I turned the system was I had to remove something from my system.
I turned the amp back on. There was a thud and the base drive unit vibrated and came out a lot more than usual (luckily I had turned the volume down as I normally do). Also the lights came on and stayed on for all the inputs. I tried turning the select knob but the lights stayed on.

I turned the amp off and on again and there was a click but nothing like the thud I had previously and the only input light when came on was the one selected.

I played some music at very low volume to start and slowly turned it up. It seems like the speakers are OK but I want to find out what has caused this and stop the click coming through the speakers.

Hopefully I’ve explained myself clearly?

My dealer is contacting Exposure but I’d like to get some advice from the members here too.

Cheers
Rob

Did you turn the integrated off before switching the socket switch back on again? If not, I wonder if it's intended to initially power into a 'standby' mode where there's only some low voltage items powered (e.g. micro controller). If the power was left on at the amp and power directly applied, it might have not been able to initialize, properly?

I noticed a similar issue with a cheap DAC I was working on. It had push button switches and LEDs for each input, but if you powered it up incorrectly (e.g. bypassing the on/off switch and using the wall wart to switch) it would come up in a weird state with the LEDs randomly lit at half brightness, and no input actually selected.

The amp was switched off before unplugging anything. I turned the amp back on after turning the power back on at the wall socket.

Do you mean the first time, when it thumped, or the second time, when it didn't? Or both times?

(the second time) When I initially turned the amp off there was a click which came through the speakers which was only slight.

When I turned the power back on at the power socket and then pressed the power button on the front of the amp there was a big thump.

(the second time) When I initially turned the amp off there was a click which came through the speakers which was only slight.

When I turned the power back on at the power socket and then pressed the power button on the front of the amp there was a big thump.
Could be a sticky speaker protection relay... if it has one. I’m sure Exposure will investigate it and fix any issues, they’re pretty good.

Could be a sticky speaker protection relay... if it has one. I’m sure Exposure will investigate it and fix any issues, they’re pretty good.

OK thank you. I’ll mention this to my dealer tomorrow (Clive of Sound Cinergy, who I know you know).

I’ll be taking the amp back to my dealer tomorrow anyway. There is a mark/scratch on top of the case. Clive’s going to swap the case for me.

OK thank you. I’ll mention this to my dealer tomorrow (Clive of Sound Cinergy, who I know you know).

I’ll be taking the amp back to my dealer tomorrow anyway. There is a mark/scratch on top of the case. Clive’s going to swap the case for me.
Ah, Clive is great. You must be fairly local to me then. I’m in Shire Oak.

I've just been told it could be " Might be the streamer is outputting some DC"?

How do I stop this or is it a fault with one of the components?

Down the road from you, Great Wyrley.
Cool, not far at all then. Re the DC, I’d expect it’d cause a problem all the time if it was, also, the amp should block DC from reaching the speaker terminals. It is possible that it was doing just that, cutting the output stage as soon as it detected it. The issue with all the lights illuminating might be indicative of it being in protection mode, it might be worth looking through the manual to confirm or dispel that theory.

I've just tried turning the amp on before the streamer and there wasn't a click. When I put the streamer on first then turned the amp on there was a click.

I'll speak with my dealer tomorrow...

This is an issue known by Exposure. They have a small board that needs to be soldered into amp internals, which apparently solves the issue. I am waiting on it in mail. We'll see. Apparently the job is not difficult and can be done by any competent service tech.

This big plop noise from Exposure has been pretty normal for older versions in Britain.
The importer for Germany wanted it dealt with as he thought the Germans would not buy it
in the said-to-be British 'it's like that, take it or leave it'-manner.

Anyway..if you do not have exceptionally high efficiency speakers,
it surely does no harm, as there was one pair of speakers in the factory every Exposure X existing on this planet
had been switched on and off on at least once..for testing and these speakers still worked flawlessly when John Farlowe left Exposure.

Meanwhile the newer amps have some relais and a start-delay application in.
So my guess is, your relais might have been hanging & from what you describe sounded like mine always does when I switch it on: 'WHUPP!

Might be irritating when you hear it first time, but probably harmless..

Always amazes me that so many people seem to demand a "plop" and "thump" free switch on from amplifiers....
There are usually capacitors which must charge up before it stabilises. Unless an amp has a switch on delay relay then it's quite normal for the majority of SS amplifiers!

The issue has been resolved. I did give an update on this issue on a different thread as another member had the same problem.

I took my amp back to my dealer and Exposure gave me choice. Either send it back and have it repaired* or they send me a brand new one. I took the latter option. The issue hasn’t arisen since.

*Exposure did admit they didn’t know what was causing the noise. I guess they have got to the bottom of it now.

@Arkless Electronics I can accept some noise coming through the speakers such as a click or light thud but this was way above 'quite normal' levels. The noise was very loud and pushed the bass drums out further than I've ever since before. It scared the Hell out of me.

Always amazes me that so many people seem to demand a "plop" and "thump" free switch on from amplifiers....
There are usually capacitors which must charge up before it stabilises. Unless an amp has a switch on delay relay then it's quite normal for the majority of SS amplifiers!
I refer you to the thread I started last year regarding exactly the same issue I had with my 3010S2D last year. The noise on switch on that BLACKMASS is referring to is far from normal, just about every amp I've ever owned has made some sort of click or woomph at start up. What BLACKMASS & myself experienced was not that & was IMO & that of Clive at Sound Cynergy who supplied the amp potentially speaker damaging. Fortunately Exposure were quick to respond & sent me a replacement amp which you'll be happy to know still makes a slight click on start up, just a normal non speaker threatening one.

advertisement

Back