advertisement

No more Tesco for us

Anger, much, sensing I am today. Avoid all this misery by simply sending the missus out to do the shopping-they love all this shit. The very definition of Simples I would have thought.

Always enjoy supermarket shopping and love the technology; a bit like market research for me.

Can't believe how cheap the food is and i usually come back with a few impulse buys, usually with yellow stickers.

Still working through the 18 ducks i bought at Aldi when they were on offer; good move as there's a shortage now.

I'm far to weak to resist a good 25% off wine deal; definitely their ideal customer as i lap up all the offers.

Avoid all this misery by simply sending the missus
I would have to eat loads of sugar peas, swiss chards, lettuce, beetroots, yucky biscuits of the cheap brand she always got as a kid, and no meat. Beer would be the wrong one. So most of the time I willingly do it for her.

I went into an M&S a year ago, bought a few items, queued for ages to pay at self-service, scanned my items, pressed Pay Now, and… there was a bank card already being read by the machine! Oops. I took the card out and eventually found someone to hand it to. Assistant didn’t give me a chance to explain exactly what had happened, so off I tootled.

SWMBO likes shopping, so I seldom need to go, but when I've been forced to the only DIY checkout I've had issues with is Waitrose, which keeps stopping for the poor old assistant to come over. The ones in our little local Solar (Co-Op in this neck of the woods) work faultlessly, similarly the ones in Booths in Keswick which I frequent are fine. As I hate people, not having to deal directly with humans is a big plus for me.

I was within an ace of just leaving the whole lot there.

That’s exactly what I did some years ago (before I retired in 2010). All the self checkouts were in use so I asked them to open a regular till. Sorry sir, you’ll “just have to” wait a few minutes.
Me - ‘you can put this lot back, I’m off to work’.
Still shop at Tesco - I quite like it but I won’t be dicked about.

We have a large Tesco close to us, not shopped there for a couple of years. Buying excellent English fruit and veg from the co-op and our garden, local greengrocers too, butchers (for the woofer) love only having to go for a big shop once a fortnight now.

I had trouble because I refused to have a Tesco Club card. I walked out of their Aviemore branch on a steam trip many years ago, the staff were so dismissive, and now use ASDA deliveries at home which are excellent.

M&S fairly recently opened a mega-food-store near us, I must say the scan as you go is a nightmare which only gets worse as you try to pay, Waitrose had this sorted years ago how come Marks can’t match it at this late stage?
Still prefer M&S stuff generally though. Waitrose soft fruit is absolute Pants, there’s usually only a day before the best-by on the berries and the stone fruit is rock hard and gets harder the longer you keep it.
By the way I haven’t seen a decent strawberry anywhere for about 5 years, they are full of translucent mushy patches and I end up chucking half of them away. What’s going on there?

I almost always use the self-check out tills and rarely have issues. Anything that helps avoid the animated graveyard queues on the manned checkouts and waiting for 20 minutes whilst some old dear produces thousands of scrunched up coupons from the depths of her handbag that gets 4p off her total bill.

I fancy I’ll open a stationer’s
Stock quaint notepads for weekend pagans
While you were out at The Rollright Stones
I came and set fire to your shed
‘Cos you probably work at an all-night garage
You probably work at an all-night garage
You probably work at an all-night garage
With Talk Radio on

One of the reasons we shop at Waitrose is the fact that until recently, the self-checkouts worked really well, without weighing anything and making you feel like a criminal, like other stores do. Obviously some scroats have been abusing that, so now the scales have been activated. Now every other scan invokes a sinister buzz, involving a long suffering member of staff.
We’ve now gone back to the normal checkouts, and the bonus is that you can have a nice conversation with the checkout person.

I’m afraid that, once again, life is spoiled by having to cater for the low-life.
I shopped today in Waitrose, at motorway service station. Somehow got charged or accedentaly scanned twice for one item, did not notice till it was already paid. Probably scales would prevent it.

I only ever have enough for a basket so I always use the self service, our Tesco has just installed the same self service for trollies now as well.

Bizarrely and typically British there was a massive queue for the basket self service and the trolley one was empty so I went straight through there with a basket, to many looks of disgust. Feckin numpties would stand there queueing all day.

I was in Sainsburys the other week and in my trolley was two boxes of Rice Krispies. They wouldn’t scan because they hadn’t been put into the system. I wasn’t allowed to purchase because they said technically they don’t exist.

I did an experiment at my local food store’s automated checkout. I deliberately didn’t scan an item, bagged it and, as expected, was immediately told that there was an unexpected item in bagging area. Then I tried scanning another item twice and bagged it. Dead silence. I get the whole “let the buyer beware” thing, but this still annoyed me.

I went to a Tesco filling station somewhere in north London a few years ago, after I filled up and went to pay I realised the checkout was closely connected with the main store and that the cashier had charged me for a carrier bag along with the petrol. I asked him how much petrol he thought would go into one carrier bag - he mumbled a lot.

M&S fairly recently opened a mega-food-store near us, I must say the scan as you go is a nightmare which only gets worse as you try to pay, Waitrose had this sorted years ago how come Marks can’t match it at this late stage

cos M&S developed crap software. Mate of mine worked for Tesco developing yhe EPOS software. Why do think they purchased 50% share of the software and logistics company.

M&S fairly recently opened a mega-food-store near us, I must say the scan as you go is a nightmare which only gets worse as you try to pay, Waitrose had this sorted years ago how come Marks can’t match it at this late stage?
Still prefer M&S stuff generally though. Waitrose soft fruit is absolute Pants, there’s usually only a day before the best-by on the berries and the stone fruit is rock hard and gets harder the longer you keep it.
By the way I haven’t seen a decent strawberry anywhere for about 5 years, they are full of translucent mushy patches and I end up chucking half of them away. What’s going on there?

This is something I've found to be a big problem everywhere over last 5 years or so. Mainly veg but everything seems to be only a few days from the green mould stage even when purchased. In fact I've seen bags of onions with mould on them for sale! I recall potatoes left in a dark place often being OK 6 weeks later but even a week is pushing it these days. Maybe @stevec67 will know the in's and out's of this?

Strawberries can be a problem, we avoid any variety that ends in A or I and find they`re mostly O.K. but any type you like won`t be there next time you shop.

advertisement

Back