advertisement

No more Tesco for us

A bit like with booking gig tickets the supermarkets have cottoned on to the idea that you can get the customer to do much more of the legwork - that used to be done by humans, or perhaps a computer at their end - and still charge the same price.
Yes, but I prefer doing my banking (oh that sounds rich :cool:) online than drive into town, never finding a parking space, and having to explain the useless clerk three times what I want. Programmers of the interface want to get paid too. In the end it's win-win for all.

For our mum's last ten years, my brother and I managed her accounts, tax bills, insurances, health insurance etc. Most of it could be done online. Nowadays I struggle to imagine how people managed to do all this in the past.

much of the food might well end up in the bin
I'd send the apprentice to put it all back, so he learns where things are stored.

Sounds about par for the course with automated checkouts at my Tesco's.

I rarely use them - maybe 15-20 times ever and FOR THE FIRST TIME, I used one yesterday and it DID NOT crash. I have come VERY close to walking out and leaving everything on several occasions.
On similar note - irritation/annoyance - 0.0% Heineken still needs an age check before paying................................

As for Tesco - if you have a clubcard some things are cheaper - I shop for certain items/brands, not prices and the pricing could not be simpler anyway - a bright yellow price label on the shelf gives the clubcard price, the white one is the full price.

Using a Tesco Mastercard as my only credit card (which acts as a clubcard), and buying almost everything that isn't on standing order, on it, I get about £100 back each year in discount vouchers. It seems totally mad not to have and use one.

0.0% Heineken
Rightly so. Responsible adults don't buy anything Heineken.

It seems totally mad not to have and use [some card].
My boss tells me the same thing all the time. I keep answering that supermarkets are no charitable organisations. Quite like public administrations, they know how to get back with one hand what they gave out with the other.

Rightly so. Responsible adults don't buy anything Heineken.

It is by a very long way the least undrinkable alcohol-free, especially with a slug of lime. Also about the price of Coke/Pepsi, not that I buy either of those.

It is the only lager that I drink - the 0% bitters that I've tried are worse than poor.

It is the only lager that I drink - the 0% bitters that I've tried are worse than poor.
Butcombe Goram IPA Zero (0.5%) is pretty good (imo) but I've only seen it for sale in one pub so far, although it looks like it's available in bottles.

I use self checkout under duress, they are a pain in the….The problem to no problem ratio is something like 100/1, I could be just unlucky.

(I’ve used the scan as you shop option a number of times too, they must think I’m dodgy as I always seem to be picked out for a random check, how humiliating).

So that’s me, unlucky and dodgy :D.

Butcombe Goram IPA Zero (0.5%) is pretty good (imo) but I've only seen it for sale in one pub so far, although it looks like it's available in bottles.

Not at £4 for six cans, I fear.

I keep answering that supermarkets are no charitable organisations. Quite like public administrations, they know how to get back with one hand what they gave out with the other.

Life is WAY, way too short - I pass Tescos to and from work. They are paying me to buy anything and everything from them, even stuff that has been reduced. They even pay me to spend everywhere but with them, albeit not much of a %.

Never had a major problem with self service checkouts at Tesco, can’t see why some find them an issue. First world problem even if you do frankly.

One of the reasons we shop at Waitrose is the fact that until recently, the self-checkouts worked really well, without weighing anything and making you feel like a criminal, like other stores do. Obviously some scroats have been abusing that, so now the scales have been activated. Now every other scan invokes a sinister buzz, involving a long suffering member of staff.
We’ve now gone back to the normal checkouts, and the bonus is that you can have a nice conversation with the checkout person.

I’m afraid that, once again, life is spoiled by having to cater for the low-life.

Another thing, I was behind an old gentleman the other day with a big shop, which he put back unbagged into his trolley. The checkout girl offered him a bag, but he said it was all going straight into the foodbank box so he wouldn’t need it.
Inspiring.

Never had a major problem with self service checkouts at Tesco, can’t see why some find them an issue. First world problem even if you do frankly.

I use hessian shopping bags. They are NEVER accepted as bags on the checkout side, presumably too heavy, so I have to stand there and wait for some fool to eventually see the flashing light..........................

In practise, I don't put them onto the checkout - I then pack into them after paying.

Just for instance.

God help anyone without reading glasses who gest a wrinkled barcode - NO I am NOT buying ANYTHING based on it having a flat barcode.

I use self checkout under duress, they are a pain in the….The problem to no problem ratio is something like 100/1, I could be just unlucky.

(I’ve used the scan as you shop option a number of times too, they must think I’m dodgy as I always seem to be picked out for a random check, how humiliating).

So that’s me, unlucky and dodgy :D.

You should change your username, dodgy unlucky Phil, pretty catchy :D

I'm with Barry on this and won't use a self service checkout at all. I'd have dumped the trolley right there and walked out then gone to another super market.... and I'd have to walk so yes it's that big a deal!

advertisement

Back