advertisement

Nikon

christray

pfm Member
Which would you consider the best used buy d600 or d7100, I know one is full frame opposed to aps/C.
This is for the Mrs to shoot a couple of weddings. She has used film previously. Would 25000 accuations be considered a lot for the 7100?
Also I may have ago at the hobby myself so may as well get something reasonable.

If you go for the D600, make sure it's had the shutter modification fitted, and take a good look at the sensor.

I bought one new and had twice to send it back to Nikon - they finally admitted to the world a design fault that allowed oil to get onto the sensor and did the modification for free for anyone who sent their cameras in to Nikon.

I've had no trouble since, and it's now a good camera..

Chris,

The D600, with zippy's provisos, would be my choice.

It's a capable camera with a decent full-frame sensor, which will give it an edge in low light shooting your wife will likely encounter in churches.

Joe

Last edited:
Great choice - the D610 (basically the same as a D600) was my first full frame Nikon. I have fond memories of that camera. I'm sure she will love it.

Lefty

Hope so Lefty, she has a couple of nikkor af/d lens to get going. Will then look out for the stabilised varients. Recommendations welcome, weddings and general photography.

Hope so Lefty, she has a couple of nikkor af/d lens to get going. Will then look out for the stabilised varients. Recommendations welcome, weddings and general photography.

May be more than she's looking to spend at the beginning, but, the ultimate rig would be the 'holy-trinity'. 14-24/2.8 + 24-70/2.8 + 70-200/2.8. They are all heavy and expensive though.

• The Nikon 24-70/2.8 is superb. I'd recommend the non-VR version though because it's sharper and cheaper.
  • I've heard mixed reports on the 16-35/4 VR. Since a wedding photographer doesn't need to use filters, I'd recommend the 14-24/2.8 instead. Although as mentioned above, it is heavy.
  • The 70-200/2.8 VRII is a lovely piece of glass. Great for tighter head shots and throwing the background out of focus. Again, a heavy lens.

If looking to save some money, the equivalent Tamron lenses (15-30/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 are well worth a look. In fact, the 15-30 is probably even better than the Nikon 14-24)

I'd have also thought a good flash and some offboard lighting is also

Other than that, a nice nifty fifty (just the regular 50/1.8G will do) and perhaps an 85/1.8G and she's set I'd say.

If you want to see what the best prices are for any new gear from official UK retailers, check out:

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Hope this helps and good luck to your wife :)

Lefty

Went from D600 to A7II and am looking to go back to the Nikon, probably the best camera I have ever owned. If anyone has one sitting unused drop me a line.

advertisement

Back