advertisement

Nikon Z 9

Size and price says its really one for the pros.

2 new lenses too - 24-120 f4 (£1.1k ouch) and 100-400 f4.5-5.6 (£2.7k ouch ouch)

Size and price says its really one for the pros.

2 new lenses too - 24-120 f4 (£1.1k ouch) and 100-400 f4.5-5.6 (£2.7k ouch ouch)

Problem is if Nikon can keep the pros who haven't already left them for Sony with this one. So few Nikon shooters out there now. Canon & Sony could be the only ones left standing in the pro ranks soon. Last chance saloon for Nikon.

Looks like an awesome camera and hugely undercuts the price of competing cameras.
Perhaps I will look to buy a lightly used one in a few years when Z9 mkii is released.

Looks like an awesome camera and hugely undercuts the price of competing cameras.
Perhaps I will look to buy a lightly used one in a few years when Z9 mkii is released.

I don’t get that logic. If you like it and can afford it, but it now, and take better pictures now, not in five years time (?).

Looks like a fantastic piece of kit but that price is probably a loss leader to sell more ouch price lenses

If everyone thinks like you, Nikon won’t be around to produce a mk2! If you really want it and can afford, go for it!

I am not a pro tog, so can’t justify £5.3k even if it is a fantastic price for what this camera is.

I am sure Nikon will have no problem selling as many of these cameras as they can make. I also suspect Nikon have the R5 in their sights with a smaller camera with most of the Z9 tech inside at a huge discount to the crazy Canon price.

I also suspect Nikon have the R5 in their sights with a smaller camera with most of the Z9 tech inside at a huge discount to the crazy Canon price.

If only they'd do that in a Z fc form factor...

That is certainly a better price for the R5 but with the caveat of being a grey import.
For some reason Canon prices are unreasonably high in the UK. The ratio of Canon/Nikon prices seems more favourable in the USA.

I already have some Z lenses, so changing to Canon is not something I would consider. I previously tried Sony before they were good (A72). I bought the Sony when I lived in USA and it was a nightmare to sell it when I moved to UK because it was considered a ‘grey import’.

HDEW have a good reputation for providing support on the rare occasion that a defect arises. Sadly they can’t provide Nikon anymore.

What's the problem with grey imports anyway? I bought my old Nikon D600 from Panamoz and had it repaired under warranty by Nikon UK with no issues.

And Panamoz are another £350 cheaper than HDEW for an R5. I’d be keeping my eyes on Panamoz for any camera or lens.

What's the problem with grey imports anyway? I bought my old Nikon D600 from Panamoz and had it repaired under warranty by Nikon UK with no issues.

There are two issues:
1. Some manufacturers refuse to service grey market cameras, even if the owner is willing to pay. The policies vary in different markets, and can change without notice.
2. When trying to sell the camera the above issue causes a red flag to buyers and reduces the price.

It is a completely ridiculous situation since the cameras are obviously identical in all markets. It is mainly an issue in the USA, but I experienced issue 2 when trying to sell a Sony camera purchased in USA when I lived there.

For most camera brands there is no strong incentive to buy grey because the UK price is not that much more than the USA price, taking into account that quoted US prices don’t include tax. However I can see the case for buying grey with Canon, because they are having a laugh with their UK prices.

I’ve had my EOS 5D3 since 2014. I’ve cleaned the sensor a few times, and that’s it. If I bought an R5 and had it this long with the same reliability, would I care about resale or paying an independent service centre for a repair? I suppose it might matter to a pro, but I’m far from being that!

I’ve had my EOS 5D3 since 2014. I’ve cleaned the sensor a few times, and that’s it. If I bought an R5 and had it this long with the same reliability, would I care about resale or paying an independent service centre for a repair? I suppose it might matter to a pro, but I’m far from being that!

Agree that it makes sense for the R5, because you will save £1k, which is more than enough to compensate for any inconvenience when getting it serviced.

Panamoz are great. I got my Nikon Z7 and 24-70/4 and FTZ adaptor from them. It was £1000 cheaper than UK prices at the time.
After sales service very good too. Battery charger for my Sony stopped working...reply to my email in minutes. Suggested some things to try to narrow down if charger, cord or battery. Paypal-ed me the cost of replacement charger from my local shop.

After sales service very good too. Battery charger for my Sony stopped working...reply to my email in minutes. Suggested some things to try to narrow down if charger, cord or battery. Paypal-ed me the cost of replacement charger from my local shop.
And this is the thing. Many people receive better after sales service from faceless online sellers than high street shops. The last time I used a shop, I was enquiring about buying a sensor cleaning kit. The slimy assistant in the busy shop shouted across to a colleague something like “Hey Steve, this one wants to buy a sensor cleaning kit!” And they both laughed.
The shop went quiet, I gave him a Paddington stare, and I walked out. 2005 ish.
Wex in Norwich are good, very good. If you need almost anything urgently, they can help.

advertisement

Back