advertisement

Nikon D700

vibbles

pfm Member
I'm now in a financial position to buy myself one but I'm worried by rumours that the D700x is due out, does anyone have definite information?, the dealers I've spoken to don't seem to know,

x or s? I imagine it will be an s model in line with the updates on the d300. I'd heard within the next 6 months but as I'm sure you're aware these rumours are just that. Do you need the new features (video shooting and summit else isn't it?) if not (I wouldn't personally) then just go for it now IMO.

Oh and the dealers do know, but they want rid of the d700 stock first!

There are various possibilities as to what a D700 replacement would have. Ideally it'd have the latest sensor from the D3s, which would mean the pixel count would remain unchanged but the low-light performance would improve by another stop or so.

Alternatively, Nikon will chase the high pixel count of the Canon 5D II, and basically produce a D3x type camera, and probably add video/whatever.

If a wait involves getting the D3s sensor, then this sounds like a sensible thing to do. If it involves a D3x sensor then hmm, maybe this wouldn't be so good an idea...

D400 has been rumoured or imaginatively wished for many months now. 24mp sensor blah blah.

As an aside, is there a technical need for the mirrored design of FF DSLRs? Arguably the mirror box was required for film if I understand it correctly. Therefore, will all current and next gen DSLRs become expensive paperweights by giving way to FF compacts?

Pros will no dout continue to buy or lease now and so the race and the prices will continue regardless.

David, I don't think you can go wrong even if the new model is sooperdooper when it arrives. The D700 is a heck of a lot of camera at its current price point.

David, I don't think you can go wrong even if the new model is sooperdooper when it arrives. The D700 is a heck of a lot of camera at its current price point.

I've been thinking seriously about this over the weekend, and it does seem to me that even if they gave it a 24mb sensor and more video potential they are things I don't really need, of course the price will leap up dramatically as well so I'm inclined to agree with you Cliff,

are you still thinking about selling yours?,

Cliff,

Mind you they are also predicting a new Fuji S6 this year :) (yum yum)
I doubt we'll see another Fuji D-SLR, but if Fuji brings out a new D-SLR with a 35mm-sized sensor with the high-ISO, low noise of the D700, and the dynamic range and colour of the S5 I'd take on a part-time job to pay for it.

Joe

Cliff,

I doubt we'll see another Fuji D-SLR, but if Fuji brings out a new D-SLR with a 35mm-sized sensor with the high-ISO, low noise of the D700, and the dynamic range and colour of the S5 I'd take on a part-time job to pay for it.

Joe

Cliff,

Joe

See how excited I am? I posted that three times.

(Actually, it was a software glitch, but I'm letting the duplicates stand for emphasis.)

Joe

I went through this a year ago and just by circumstance / price went for the 5D2 kit. I researched both 5D2 and the 700 to death and I'm sure the Nikon to be stunning, its like everything Naim / Linn / BMW / Audi they all have a flavour and its can be just down to gut feel or a minor preference at the end of the day, good luck with it.

Martin

advertisement

Back