1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon 200-500

Discussion in 'photo' started by ron, Dec 23, 2017.

1. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

“Not too bad”.... Ron, these are fabulous, beautiful photos thanks.

ron likes this.
  2. ron

ron Tweaker

Thanks both , must admit for a zoom this is a good lens , I was standing 3-4 meters away when I took these so had to crop quite heavy .

3. ron

ron Tweaker

4. ron

ron Tweaker

5. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

These are absolutely superb Ron! Making me want to trade my Tamron 150-600 for the Nikon 200-500....

Lefty

ron likes this.
  6. Oakwood

Oakwood pfm Member

Both stunning shots but the Wren is fantastic. Great capture.

ron likes this.
  7. ron

ron Tweaker

8. ron

ron Tweaker

Rack Kit, user510, RPSGC and 3 others like this.
  9. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

Just bought one to pair with my D500. Planning to get out on Sunday down at the coast to try it out.

10. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

ron and Dev like this.
  11. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

Hand held tracking as they were flying using back button autofocus, single point, manual shutter and aperture with auto ISO. Got to find time to have a look at the others. This one just needed a bit of cropping

12. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

ron and Dev like this.
  13. ron

ron Tweaker

Nice shots guys , is that a Stone chat^^ ?

14. ron

ron Tweaker

BTC3 likes this.
  15. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

Yes both male and female. Taken on the Southwest Coast path between Budleigh Salterton and Sidmouth last Sunday.

16. ron

ron Tweaker

Rack Kit and RPSGC like this.
  17. Lefty

Stellar images as always Ron. I've been drooling over the 500PF but there's no way I could justify buying one. Looks a lovely lens, but judging from the images you're getting with the 200-500, what extra would you be hoping to get from the 500?

Not knowing a huge amount about these lenses, would a second hand 300/2.8 VRII not make a better buy? Use with a TC for more reach and use without for something really special with bigger / more close up subjects?

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/nikon...N02zIatIfc0J8NHDUeuOQ9WPQ8YqcZxpUgaAoMi8P8HAQ

Lefty

ron likes this.
  18. ron

ron Tweaker

Thank you , ideally I’d like a little extra speed , the 200-500 isn’t the quickest when it comes to grabbing so I usually have to help a little with my thumb on the focus ring . I do have a 300mm f2.8 , it works great with the TC-14e iii but not so good with the 1.7 or x2 when it comes to fast birds . I still find 420mm a little short on fullframe , something like a 600mm f4 would be nice

19. Lefty

Ah... I see. From what I've read (and experienced when I tested the two lenses) the Tamron 150-600 G2 is quicker to focus than the Nikon. It will so give you a bit more reach. Worth considering?

Lefty

ron likes this.
  20. ron

ron Tweaker

Thanks , I'll definitely check the G2 out , anything is worth a try

Lefty likes this.