advertisement

Nikkor question

Coda II

getting there slowly
Further to previous thread I now have a 55mm Nikkor sat here and am trying to verify that it is an AI type (ie will fit a D-SLR body).
Full title is Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:3.5
Have had a good look at this page: http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm
and all seems well, the only slight difference is the 'Maximum Aperture Indicator Post' or 'lens speed nose' which is shown about 1/3 down the page in the 'AI'd (Non - AI Lenses physically converted to AI after manufacture) and AI Lens' section. On the lens I have here this is a solid post that is physically part of the black rim, in the linked picture it looks like a separate prong - it is in the right place though. And as far as I know this lens was bought new as it is now.
Also it seems to fit the FM2 with no problem.

Thanks

I've got a 1960s Nikkormat FTn and a couple of similar vintage 'Nippon Kogaku' Nikkors, all are pre-AI and have not been modified in any way. Reading the description on the web page you linked to and looking at one of my lenses the biggest difference (other that the solid 'ears') is that the whole bottom surface of the aperture ring is completely smooth, there is no raised area for meter coupling. AI lenses have a raised section that interfaces with the coupling ring on the FM2 etc. The Nikkormat (and F & F2 etc) only connect to the aperture ring via a spike between the silver 'ears'.

Tony.

FWIW the 55mm F3.5 macro is a great lens, a friend has one and gets excellent results with it.

Tony.

FWIW the 55mm F3.5 macro is a great lens, a friend has one and gets excellent results with it.

it is indeed a VERY sharp lens but, when it comes to bokeh, a total piece fo garbage. must be used within those parameters.

vuk.

Coda,

PK is the name of the 27.5mm extension tube designed specifically for the 55mm Micro-Nikkor (full name is PK-13). When mounted on the 55mm Micro-Nikkor it lets you focus close enough to have a reproduction ratio of 1:1 -- i.e., object on film being the exact size of the object in real life. It's of little practical importance unless you do scientific photography.

If your lens dates from 1977 onward the 55mm f/3.5 is an AI design, you can safely mount it on a D40 or D70, but with no internal metering either way. If you can post or e-mail a picture of the back of the lens I can tell you for sure. I'm at jpetrik [at] sciborg [dot] uwaterloo [dot] ca.

FWIW, the 55mm f/3.5 is hyper-corrected for close-up photography, so it's razor sharp for macro work, but just very good at infinity. Its bokeh is firmly in the bad to meh range, but this won't be an issue unless you purposely want parts of your ribbons to be out of focus.

Edit: Non-AI Nikkors can be mounted on a D40/D40x, but not on a D70/D70s, because the D40-series lacks a meter coupling lever. If this is all Latin to you, have a look at this chart, which ought to answer any questions you have about camera and lens compatibility.

Joe

advertisement

Back