advertisement

Nick Cave - Ghosteen

Cack.

I gave up on Nick Cave a while back having bought most of his stuff from Birthday Party through to Abattoir Blues which I maintain is the last decent thing he's put out. Since then its been an emperors new clothes bore fest of dreary self indulgent cack-w*nk.

I've tried it again, but I find it simply boring, maybe it's too subtle for me...Or it could be that crimsondonkey's analysis above is correct!

I skim-listened to it the other day and instantly dismissed it as being instantly dismissable. But I'm now listening to it while I'm browsing pink fish and beyond and I think I like it. The only snag for me in buying a 2-LP set means I'm unlikely to play the whole thing through from start to finish in one go. In fact, I'd probably only listen to the whole thing on headphones while I'm out and about and I'm not sure it's out and about music. Still, I'm slowly but surely beginning to appreciate all it offers as well as what it doesn't.

Cack.

I gave up on Nick Cave a while back having bought most of his stuff from Birthday Party through to Abattoir Blues which I maintain is the last decent thing he's put out. Since then its been an emperors new clothes bore fest of dreary self indulgent cack-w*nk.

I'm the opposite and only really like the stuff post Abattoir Blues, still don't like this one though!

It’s meditation on the loss of his son and it’s impact on the parents is raw and very believable. The music is really a mood wash for his thoughts on his grief and that of his wife. It takes a step back to allow Cave to tell his story. A generous and sensitive decision.The words are much more important. I believe this may be his most accessible album to date. It’s so intimate and inclusive. IMO it is his greatest piece of work thrusted forward by the most excruciatingly personal tragedy. He has let us in to this most private moment.

It’s meditation on the loss of his son and it’s impact on the parents is raw and very believable. The music is really a mood wash for his thoughts on his grief and that of his wife. It takes a step back to allow Cave to tell his story. A generous and sensitive decision.The words are much more important. I believe this may be his most accessible album to date. It’s so intimate and inclusive. IMO it is his greatest piece of work thrusted forward by the most excruciatingly personal tragedy. He has let us in to this most private moment.

All the personal stuff is well and good, from a musical perspective it's pap.

:)

The irony was more about the impression of the album on a first listen.
But having listened to it now a second time, there were small glimmers of harmonies and hooks and dare i say melodies, appearing amongst the darkness.

I really enjoyed it on spotty in car during my commute last night.

It's not upbeat, that's for sure. I think if in the mood for something mild, it's a good choice...I've played it a fair few times since release.

Got mine today and It is a bit disappointing. I wonder if all the glowing reviews are more a sympathy vote than a review of the work.
Having said that I posted similar levels of disappointment when I got Skeleton Tree only to end up thinking it one of the best albums of 2018.
We will see. But for all of that I still listen to The Boatman's Call 4 or 5 times on the trot and really can't imagine doing that with this for the next 10 years.

I've listened to this over a dozen times now and whilst initially it was a struggle like all good albums it just gets better and better.
Unless something dramatic happens in the next six weeks it's my favourite album of 2019 by a distance.

I just bought it on CD despite it not really grabbing me (via spotify at work). Tbh I don't really think any of the last three have quite done it for me (Ghosteen/Skeleton Tree/Push the sky away), at least not in the way his earlier albums do.

We have tickets for his next tour in Cardiff (about 6 months away), hope he plays some of his old stuff as well as the new but either way I'm sure it'll be a good experience :)

advertisement

Back