advertisement

Nick Cave - Ghosteen

matt j

pfm Member
Woke up early and read a rave review so downloaded it to Tidal before heading out and had it on in the van today, shame to say I'm not that keen even as a massive fan.

Glad I didn't pre order the vinyl now, I almost did as I have a rule with artists like Cave where I just buy it anyway, nearly caught a cold with this one.

Anyone else given it a try yet?

I did the same. I'm also a long time fan so played it first thing but with the same initial response. There seem to be an absence of songs - at least on first listen - just generic semi religious Cave-isms over some dull wispy electronic background. I'll give it a few more listens but I'm not putting any order in at this stage. That said, a good friend and fellow fan called to say he'd played it on the way to work and loved it.

I have heard bits, not convinced either. almost seems too depressing.

Would deffo put you on a bad trip if you are that way inclined.

Bloss

Just tried it and gave up after a few tracks. Seems to be borne from the same song writing techniques as Skeleton Tree but without the depth, ie wibbly electronics with Cave talking over the top. Glad I didn't preorder the vinyl as well! Will give it another shot at some point.

Just tried it and gave up after a few tracks. Seems to be borne from the same song writing techniques as Skeleton Tree but without the depth, ie wibbly electronics with Cave talking over the top. Glad I didn't preorder the vinyl as well! Will give it another shot at some point.

See, I like Skeleton Tree because at least the tracks are actual melodies/songs, this just seems like a semi spoken word album over some synth.

I don't mind depressing, just give me some structure!

Listened to it on Spotify today and have to say I like it...I think he could rock up playing a kazoo and an upside down bucket whilst reciting the telephone directory and I’d like it so maybe not a great arbiter

I didn't get Skeleton Tree but then I didn't give it much of a chance. I listened quickly to Ghosteen last night and decided I'd probably not go for vinyl as it is so quiet that any pop at all would twist my melon. Have to say though that I loved what I heard and will give it some more time.

I've been periodically reading Caves Red Hand Files over the past year and have increasingly found them to resonate deeply with me .....to the point that I couldn't read one out to a mate on holidays due to being completely overcome by emotion.

I didn't like Nocturama when it first came out. It sat on my shelf for years. Love it now.

I'll be getting the new one on the 'you never know' principle

I've had 3-4 listens now. I've always liked Cave's stuff so giving this a chance. It's still not grabbing me and too much of it feels like a collaboration with Vangelis for my tastes.

In my humble opinion Ghosteen is a beautiful piece of work. I listened to it twice over the weekend straight through.
Perhaps I was just in the right mood for it. I teared up on a couple of occasions.
Just gorgeous.
My tip is to give it a spin whilst ironing :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one, it has great reviews but it just doesn't grab me at all.

A lump in my throat that hasn't quite cleared since Friday. I don't think I've been this impressed by a new record since Tilt. Perhaps Manafon in between.

I've just finished listneing to the whole album on YouTube and I am starting to really like it a lot.
It requires a particular state of mind to listen to.

I listened to it the other night on Soundcloud and found it rather arresting. But I'm not sure what it involves that he hasn't done to some degree before.

I’ve ordered the vinyl. I started a thread about how disappointed I was with Skeleton Tree. Ended up being one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years!

advertisement

Back