advertisement

Nichelle Nichols RIP

What sad news.

In many ways Lt. Uhura was the most inspiring character on the show. When Star Trek premiered in 1966 some States were still segregated, but in the future a Black woman is a valued officer on the bridge of the federation’s flagship. I wish they had given her an even greater role — that of a true multilingual translator, rather than a communications technician — but to have Lt. Uhura on the bridge must have been inspiring to many who at the time were seen as being able to do little more than domestic chores for white families. In fact, Whoopie Goldberg said exactly that when she watched trek as a child: “Look, there’s a Black woman on TV and she’s *not* a maid.”

It’s difficult to convey how important this scene was at the time, not just what Lt Uhura was doing but what Mr Spock had commented on.

May Nichelle Rest In Peace.

Joe

I was thinking how many trek actors we’ve lost over the years — Bones, Scotty, Nurse Chapel, Janice Rand, Mr. Spock, and now Lt. Uhura, not to mention many who were in a single episode or two.

I realize it’s fiction — well, usually — but it feels like losing a friend. Trek was a such huge part of my early formative years, my middle years, and my right now years.

Joe

Bob,

I know, but the loss still feels like ummmm loss.

Joe

Seems some meme creator feels similarly.

FZE9ZD7WYAEv7-1

Joe

Bob,

I like to keep it fresh for the fishies.

Joe

Sad news. Nichelle was a rare talent.
I remember seeing her in ST around six yo in early 1970s.
She was my first crush! Incredibly beautiful but it was her voice that really got me hooked.
Starred in the best gif known to humans.

stupid-mf.gif

Last edited:

advertisement

Back