advertisement

Nice, "Standard" Older Croft Micro

Vinny

pfm Member
Good description included in the listing, for a change........ with phono

Croft Super Micro Preamplifier | eBay

I haven't worked out what the valves actually are but they could easily be worth into the low £100's alone at today's insane prices.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Prices are on the up, so I'll not be tempted to predict as to what it will finish at.
It is very likely to sound better than quite a few more recent incarnations of the Micro though.

I think Glenn used smaller caps on the later models and said the bigger ones were a bit dangerous, that might have reduced SQ a little?

On the other had I was surprised to see only one power supply in this, even the later basics had two transformers I think? Although they lost the valve so not sure about net impact.

I used to have a super micro A octal type and it was great.

I used to have a super micro A octal type and it was great.

I don't beleive that the designation scratched into the rear label is any real guarantee of much at all............. I have a Micro A which looks very similar to the one on the Bay currently in terms of valve complement. I normally use a Super Micro IV, which has 2 x 12BH7 push-pull output valves (a different principle entirely compared to the usual ECC82/ECC83 cathode follower), and has an 85A2 voltage regulator as part of the power supply. The Super sounds more detailed in particular, than the A.

As for the cap's - I beleive that @Dowser has discussed with Glenn, and my understanding is that the safety issue won over improved sound quality.

I don't beleive that the designation scratched into the rear label is any real guarantee of much at all............. I have a Micro A which looks very similar to the one on the Bay currently in terms of valve complement. I normally use a Super Micro IV, which has 2 x 12BH7 push-pull output valves (a different principle entirely compared to the usual ECC82/ECC83 cathode follower), and has an 85A2 voltage regulator as part of the power supply. The Super sounds more detailed in particular, than the A.

As for the cap's - I beleive that @Dowser has discussed with Glenn, and my understanding is that the safety issue won over improved sound quality.

you mean smoothing capacitance? I never discussed with Glenn, but have gone wildly and hugely over standard capacitance in my vintage micro II, sounds great to my ears :)

Is that not NOS price though rather than unknown usage?

Take a look at what any old valves are selling for these days. Brands that just 3-4 years ago sold for peanuts, not least becasue various "experts" online did not rate their sound, now sell for crazy money because they are the only NOS valves left - RFT/RWN/Erfurt valves being an excellent example.
Besides which, if you can tell what ECC83 and ECC82 is NOS and what has any use at all in the vast majority of cases, you are a better man than me. Valve tester figures mean nothing but I would bet that the ones in the amp would give high figures anyway.

advertisement

Back