advertisement

Nextel paint ?

I've thought long and hard but it just doesn't seem right to go to all the trouble of stripping and restoring without getting it back to the original intended finish. And I had heard that Nextel was a better product these days.....

We used to spray a lot of Nextel 10-12 years ago, probably 1000ltrs a year over a 5 year period. It's very difficult to spray, even with the state of the art equipment we had. The mixing of paint, catalyst and thinner (if used) had to be bang on otherwise the paint wouldn't cure as hard as it should do.
when the conditions were perfect and expertly sprayed it was a lovely paint with a very tactile feel to it. And yes, horrendously expensive even at the quantity discount we used to buy at.

We used to spray a lot of Nextel 10-12 years ago, probably 1000ltrs a year over a 5 year period. It's very difficult to spray, even with the state of the art equipment we had. The mixing of paint, catalyst and thinner (if used) had to be bang on otherwise the paint wouldn't cure as hard as it should do.
when the conditions were perfect and expertly sprayed it was a lovely paint with a very tactile feel to it. And yes, horrendously expensive even at the quantity discount we used to buy at.

Maybe that's the kicker....if I can't get it done at a price that's not mental then I'l revert to a nice matte anthracite.

If I remember correctly, with max discount we were paying about £18 per litre plus VAT for the paint, slightly less for the primer, then you need the catalyst and thinner.

I think we used to charge out at approx £100/Lt off the gun, so similar to car paint prices. In comparison we would have done high quality acid catalysed colour at approx £26/Lt.

Bloody hell, lot of work in that. Was that basically the price just for the paint and not the prep and spray?

Anything else likely to give a similar finish without the three pack mixing? I was going get it done professionally and reckoned on paying similar to car paint shop prices.....

Bloody hell, lot of work in that. Was that basically the price just for the paint and not the prep and spray?

Anything else likely to give a similar finish without the three pack mixing? I was going get it done professionally and reckoned on paying similar to car paint shop prices.....

I had pretty good results on the hubs of my Revox A77 by using two coats of grey etch primer. The second coat was more of a light dusting from about 6 inches away. Gave it a fair approximation of the original Nextel finish. I may go the same route for refurbishing my Quad 606 as it turned out pretty well.

This company can spray the real deal, so might be worth getting a quote:

http://www.goldburnfinishers.co.uk/

They’re not the best at responding to email, so might be best to give them a ring if interested. Good luck with the project!

Talking of Nextel there is similar crap being used more recently. I used my Cambridge 752BD Blu-Ray/pretty much everything else disc player for the first time in ages today and the kind of rubbery coating to the back of the plastic remote had turned into a horrible sticky gooey mess. Just plain nasty. This just from sitting in a room for five years largely unused as I must have played maybe ten DVDs or Blu-Rays since buying it and I use the front panel controls for CDs. The remote really was barely used so not grubby at all. About half an hour hard scrubbing with a rag and isopropyl alcohol has got it down to non-sticky bare plastic, but really annoying just the same. It will need a bit more effort to get perfect too.

Talking of Nextel there is similar crap being used more recently. I used my Cambridge 752BD Blu-Ray/pretty much everything else disc player for the first time in ages today and the kind of rubbery coating to the back of the plastic remote had turned into a horrible sticky gooey mess. Just plain nasty. This just from sitting in a room for five years largely unused as I must have played maybe ten DVDs or Blu-Rays since buying it and I use the front panel controls for CDs. The remote really was barely used so not grubby at all. About half an hour hard scrubbing with a rag and isopropyl alcohol has got it down to non-sticky bare plastic, but really annoying just the same. It will need a bit more effort to get perfect too.

I had a similar issue with a nearly new Audio analogue amplifier. It was only three months old and the remote, which is rather nice in all other respects and has an aluminum front, had a sticky residue on the plastic back. Some time and effort with a damp cloth finally removed the gunk and left a nice smooth plastic finish. It seems strange to me that manufactures would make these silly mistakes over the finish of their products.

It may have started that way, but five years in it was definitely ‘sticky touch coating’ to the extent you could pretty much pick the thing up by its own adhesive properties. Really unpleasant!

My A48II is also looking a bit grubby now. Has anybody tried/thought about powder-coating the panels? There seems to be colours available not far off the originals.

My A48II is also looking a bit grubby now. Has anybody tried/thought about powder-coating the panels? There seems to be colours available not far off the originals.

I’d have thought the rougher textured matt powder coat would look fine/right and certainly be harder wearing. The problem you will obviously have is with the lettering, logo etc, I’ve no idea how you’d get round that.

PS When I’ve seen A48/IIs that have been repainted they look quite exceptionally wrong in a gloss finish! Needs to be matt, needs to be textured!

The grey and orange front of mine are ok and all the lettering is intact. It is only the brown top and sides that are a mess. I got the amp in 1978 and in 1982 wrote to Sugden asking if they could provide the paint or panels to turn my brown and orange one into charcol and grey, as I wanted a T48 to match. They built me a beskope brown and orange T48 even though the colour scheme was long obsolete.

As the amp went through four years of student accommodation and the tuner didn't, I now have a grubby amp and a near mint tuner.

Excellent, that should be very easy to do assuming you can get a good colour match. Post a pic when done! Orange A48s were cool! It is such a shame the finish failed and I bet a lot of otherwise perfectly good amps ended up getting skipped as a result.

advertisement

Back