advertisement

Next Turntable?

matt j

pfm Member
Any ideas what to try next? Things I've not owned/heard - Anything by SME, NAS and Michell are the big three really.

Other options not heard are idlers - Thorens, Garrard or a fettled Lenco.

Currently using a Funk GETT as a place holder.

Things had and not interested in trying again at the minute - Rega, Technics, LP12, TD150/160, PT.

Budget isn't set in stone, but I'm not playing in the premier league. Preferably with an arm, but not a Rega one.

What was wrong with the Anniversary Matt?

To be fair there hasn't been much wrong with any of them, none of them were rubbish. If I had to mark it down I'd say it just felt a bit delicate to use.

Am I right in thinking you have a Gyro? Thoughts?

To be fair there hasn't been much wrong with any of them, none of them were rubbish. If I had to mark it down I'd say it just felt a bit delicate to use.

Am I right in thinking you have a Gyro? Thoughts?
Yes had a Gyro for a couple of years: once I’d found the right arm I was very happy with it. I don’t know if it had a particular character, in the way that a Thorens or Rega does, but it had everything I was looking for - detail, big sound stage, all that. I was going to leave it at that but then The Decameron was selling his Orbe and I thought, well. It’s better: more heft and drive but more polish too. I’d recommend either, but in your shoes I’d want to try an idler - think you’ve done all the other types. Actually I’d like to try one myself, although I don’t see the Orbe going anywhere.

Yes had a Gyro for a couple of years: once I’d found the right arm I was very happy with it. I don’t know if it had a particular character, in the way that a Thorens or Rega does, but it had everything I was looking for - detail, big sound stage, all that. I was going to leave it at that but then The Decameron was selling his Orbe and I thought, well. It’s better: more heft and drive but more polish too. I’d recommend either, but in your shoes I’d want to try an idler - think you’ve done all the other types. Actually I’d like to try one myself, although I don’t see the Orbe going anywhere.

I must admit a TD124 is sorely tempting, I'd just not be interested in something that requires tinkering like an old car.

I must admit a TD124 is sorely tempting, I'd just not be interested in something that requires tinkering like an old car.
Yes what’s put me off idlers is that they require a bit of commitment, even if it’s just finding a decent plinth for them: they don’t seem like something you can just have a go with and move on. PTP is a complete and finished product but they never come up 2nd hand.

Yes what’s put me off idlers is that they require a bit of commitment, even if it’s just finding a decent plinth for them: they don’t seem like something you can just have a go with and move on. PTP is a complete and finished product but they never come up 2nd hand.
There was a Solid9 in the classifieds last month, dunno if it sold.

...what’s put me off idlers is that they require a bit of commitment...

For sure the TD124 is a bit of a complex beast, but the Lencos are really simple & require virtually no attention once you mount them in a decent plinth. The 401 is a bit more complex than the Lenco, but once again, it's almost maintenance free once you've e set it up. Neither need to cost a fortune, though it's all too easy to pay over the odds if you're not careful.

An unanswerable question.

Fix a budget, buy carefully second-hand (no other option on many decks favoured here), live with it a while, keep, or sell for what you paid as appropriate.

No-one else can possibly know your taste, room and/or system - all FAR too complicated.

The hardest bit for the OP is making their decision what to take a punt on first.

One comment - basically referring back to your comment about tonearm - you list a few TTs but then mention workhorse tonearms - Rega. Maybe you missed quite a lot changing TT but not pushing the boat out on a tonearm?

advertisement

Back