advertisement

Next Labour Leader: Keir Starmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’ll find Starmer will turn out to be an awful antisemite as soon as that becomes necessary.

I’m glad though that people are finding ways to reconcile themselves with the left’s program, even if it requires this kind of memory holing.
I don't think so. It's worth reading Jon Pike's account of Starmer - a quick google will get it.

[...] The previous labour party was happy to give all the benefits of growth to the 1% [...]

Evidence?

I was under the impression that overall income inequality didn't change much under Blair/Brown (compared to a massive shift in favour of the richest under Thatcher). The one really significant change under Blair/Brown was that the incomes of pensioners and children grew strongly, in absolute and relative terms.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/6738

So the statement that "The previous labour party was happy to give all the benefits of growth to the 1%" looks tendentious.

Don't get me wrong: the Blair/Brown record on income inequality wasn't great, but it also wasn't nearly as bad as you seem to be suggesting.

On another note, as a party member for most of the last 35 years, I don't know if Starmer is up to it, but he will drive out the Corbyn faction from any power and make Labour at least seem competent. On Corbyn, his domestic policies were not much different Miliband, but his International positions made me ashamed and of course his anti-Semitism disgraced us. Relieved.
You once posted a link to one of the most disgusting anti-Palestinian sites I've ever seen, as if it was an entirely normal thing to do. You're not in a position to lecture anyone about anti-racism.

Starmer... let's wait and see. He fought an efficient campaign, RLB failed to ignite. None of the candidates thrilled me but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I don't think so. It's worth reading Jon Pike's account of Starmer - a quick google will get it.
I’m not necessarily against Starmer. But whether or not he turns out to be an antisemite isn’t really in his hands. If he starts to look dangerous then he will be an antisemite, or too weak dealing with antisemites. The right are not going to put down a weapon that has proved to be so effective.

You once posted a link to one of the most disgusting anti-Palestinian sites I've ever seen, as if it was an entirely normal thing to do. You're not in a position to lecture anyone about anti-racism.

Starmer... let's wait and see. He fought an efficient campaign, RLB failed to ignite. None of the candidates thrilled me but I'm trying to keep an open mind.
That's a disgusting smear. I have always supported a two-state solution and a the right of the Palestinians to their own state. Please desist in telling lies.

I’m not necessarily against Starmer. But whether or not he turns out to be an antisemite isn’t really in his hands. If he starts to look dangerous then he will be an antisemite, or too weak dealing with antisemites. The right are not going to put down a weapon that has proved to be so effective.
I think it is a reasonable position to attack Starmer for not speaking out against Corbyn on antisemitism, but I have no doubt that he does not share the same anti-west world view of Corbyn and will act decisively over the coming months. I hope so...

That's a disgusting smear. I have always supported a two-state solution and a the right of the Palestinians to their own state. Please desist in telling lies.
No smear. The website you linked to was full of disgusting anti-Palestinian crap while presenting itself as supporting a two state solution - nice!

Has Starmer shared platforms with Hamas, Hezbollah etc? Laid wreaths in inappropriate places? Shared anti-Semitic tropes and images on Twitter? Dithered for years when challenged about party racism etc? I don’t know the answers to any of this as I don’t follow internal party politics to that extent, but I’d expect the combination of a far shorter and less-extreme political career plus a far sharper legal mind will make Starmer a much, much harder target for smear campaigns.

I think it is a reasonable position to attack Starmer for not speaking out against Corbyn on antisemitism, but I have no doubt that he does not share the same anti-west world view of Corbyn and will act decisively over the coming months. I hope so...
Again, his own views are completely irrelevant. If it becomes useful to attack him on these grounds then that’s what will happen.

Has Starmer shared platforms with Hamas, Hezbollah etc? Laid wreaths in inappropriate places? Shared anti-Semitic tropes and images on Twitter? Dithered for years when challenged about party racism etc? I don’t know the answers to any of this as I don’t follow party politics to that extent, but I’d expect the combination of a far shorter and less-extreme political career plus a far sharper legal mind will make Starmer a much, much harder target for smear campaigns.

Starmer's never shared a platform with anybody ;)

Has Starmer shared platforms with Hamas, Hezbollah etc? Laid wreaths in inappropriate places? Shared anti-Semitic tropes and images on Twitter? Dithered for years when challenged about party racism etc? I don’t know the answers to any of this as I don’t follow internal party politics to that extent, but I’d expect the combination of a far shorter and less-extreme political career plus a far sharper legal mind will make Starmer a much, much harder target for smear campaigns.
Ha ha ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back