advertisement

New Yorks, Tannoy project

One refurbished System 15 DMT II now installed in workshop on custom breezbloc stands(that are excellent btw). Matching stereo pair ;-)

24811539618_ff38372a41_c.jpg

Looking good Frank.
They are sounding really sweet Tony, I'm liking the shade more bottom end from the York box over the DMT. I'm driving them with a cheap and cheerful Thomann 60w pro power amp and it has no business sounding this good!

Matt black on the backs and new bi-wire terminals fitted.. nice veneering project for whoever buys these drivers and crossovers (the box is a pay it forward).

38159548904_758f34f318_z.jpg

You'll be rivalling Big Ears audio next Cooky. Is this a wee business for you now?
Perhaps I should but haha but no, I started this legacy clone project in May, I'm far too slow/chilled, more a labour of love/hobby for me.

Last edited:
Standard CPA xover in York box; Pink noise @1m

34554517386_fe5ea60b12_z.jpg

Below, modified enclosure/xover and serviced drivers; Pink noise @1m, the effect of the servicing, ferrofluid replacement etc and the DMT2/Legacy network is clearly apparent both by measurement and ear. Pretty damn smooth response, these are an easy listen.

38219255674_6ee3675218_z.jpg

Last edited:
Excuse the ad as it were however, I have a pair of System 10s coming up for sale on behalf of a friend who owns a studio should anyone be interested.

After not much thought really-its a no-brainer, I've decided to keep these, they are that good.
They drop into my AV room alcoves and as they are flush against the wall take up less room than some stand-mounts. Centres are also Tannoy DC(8"Saturn) for now before I build a 3833 centre and move them to surround duty. Sounds absolutely fab.

38446412514_17b6024dd6_c.jpg

They look great too.

I had to let my Amesbury cabs go as I couldn't find anywhere that they didn't overwhelm the room due to my low cottage ceilings and windows. Frustrating!

They look great too.

I had to let my Amesbury cabs go as I couldn't find anywhere that they didn't overwhelm the room due to my low cottage ceilings and windows. Frustrating!
Cheers. That's a shame, I've got to get round to veneering them at some point in the new year.

fascinating
My Lockwood recoil etc of my 1955 LSU 12L unit which were given to me broken are now repaired

As you may know these are Tannoys from the 78rpm era so have no DC tweeter

re yr crossover works
Listening to these crossoverless speakers is fairly astonshing to me as having listened for a week now i have only noted a loss of hf on rim shots on for eg Leonard Cohens 10 new songs album and my ither speakers are series 6 DC tannoys and els57's....Im amazed and wonder if the mostly digital input is partly why there is so much apparent hf to enjoy.... not so much baffleless as baffled..

I havent tried the valve amp yet so Im on chrome bumpers at present.

The fibreglass cab lining prooves transmutation is possible as they have rotted into something other than fibreglass as i know it!

Terrible Lanacaster cabs which had holes drilled for separate tweeters by a previous schoolboy owner!

so im hoping to improve the cabs untill i find wether better ie bigger cabs are a worthwhile idea

However i can hear these are keepers.... bass is so different from any other speaker I know well...and I think the sensitivity reveals recordings ina differrent way to the quads... they are very revealing but not ballsy like JBL etc

i didnt have the skill to do your work... Lockwoods said it was a hard job to find the voicecoil and they found the papercones quality a joy to behold... before having to destroy it!

hope this isnt a thread crap... can delete and repost if so
cheers

advertisement

Back