advertisement

New Witchat audio pre/power leads

The FlatEarther

pfm Member
Had the good fortune to be invited to audition the new Witch Hat Audio Naim Supercap to Naim 300 DR interconnects in my system..

Good grief! They completely destroy the Naim originals in every single aspect and by a massive margin.

More details to follow.

Even WH’s existing DIN4-XLRs are a significant improvement over the 3 Amp mains cable of the Naim originals.

I to have been invited to audition the new WH interconnects nac32.5 to hicap.

Out of the box absolutely amazing can't get over the difference one cable can make.

This is a brand new version of their cables, or just the cables that have been on their site for sometime? If they are different, any info on the changes, when they are available, etc, etc? Is it a refresh of the whole line or just the Hatpin 4x?

It is a brand new cable. They haven't given details of the changes yet. I think its going to be sold along side the other interconnects and its going to be released around Easter.

They're brand new cables we've been working on. Full details from Monday but these are top-tier cables designed to complement our well-received Phantom loudspeaker cable. There will be a 20% discount for the first orders taken around Easter for delivery in summer.

We're very excited by these.
The first cables to be available are:

Naim 4 pin DIN for interconnection between power supplies or for pre/power combinations.
Naim 4 pin to XLR (stereo for 250, and mono pairs for the 135, 145, 300, 500)
Naim 5 pin 240 for Hicap
Naim 5 pin 180 interconnects.
Naim 5 pin 180 to RCA (source or output)

To follow will be an 18 pin Burndy version.

That's great to hear, assume all the details will be posted on your site? The 20% off for the first orders will be available for online orders on your site as well? I have planned to try some of your cables for sometime & was actually just going to get around to ordering some, glad I found this post first.

To those that have heard these already what area's are you noticing improvements & what cables are you currently running/previously tried?

I use the Witch hat Hatpin interconnects and previously the Naim Snaic.

This new cable is in a completely different class. The best way I can describe the overall improvements is it lets you hear what sound your Naim amps are capable of. Everything just opens up, the Naim sound is still there but on steroids.

From the Witch Hat Audio website:

“The Signal Conductor

If EMI could be seen as the evil dragon, the audio signal is King Arthur and the signal path to the speakers is like the quest for the Holy Grail. Hopefully, you’ll agree that there’s no point protecting him from a dragon if he’s still got to pass over dangerous terrain, so how might we make his path easier for him?

This is where the signal conductor comes into play. For the Morgana, we went for Ohno Continuously Cast (OCC) Copper over the standard Oxygen Free Copper (OFC). To make OCC Copper it needs to be of extremely high grade known as 6N (99.9998% pure to be exact), which has half the impurities of OFC. As the name suggests it’s cast in such a way as to reduce the microscopic grain boundaries. Simply put, impurities and grain boundaries impede the flow of electrons leading to distortion and lag; therefore comparatively the OCC Copper has a very agile sound.

You may be wondering why we didn’t flow (follow) suit with every other cable company and get it silver plated (or even wholly silver). Silver is used for (delete for) because it’s marginally more conductive than copper and is thus better for signal transference. It can also reduce the skin effect where by (whereby) high frequencies cause the current to gravitate to the edges creating capacitance, which in turn can lead to unwanted loss of detail and (cause or introduce) imbalances.

Whilst it sounds great the price of better detail is brightness, a more fatiguing and cold sound that you may have experienced with silver and silver-plated cables. Naim designed and tweaked their amplifiers to work with copper cables and thus we find the sound a lot more natural and enjoyable. After all, we believe this is what Naim are about; you can get better resolution with other brands, but nothing gets your foot tapping like Naim!

Protecting the Signal

Now that King Arthur is on his way, we need to see what we can do about that dragon. One of the biggest differentiators for this cable over every other cable in the market is the insulator that we use to combat interference and skin effect. Unfortunately, it is also our most mysterious because as was common practice among Witches and Wizards of old who feared that their magic might get into the wrong hands, we feel we must keep this a secret.

What I can tell you about, however, is what we did with the 0v return. This conductor is an interesting one as it has 2 very important jobs. The first is to return a very low current back to the source device (or amplifier, power supply, etc) and carries both signal and power. This was a silly design idea from Naim as interference along here can get into the source and cause problems with timing and imaging. By using a very large conductor (which is a combination of the width of the cable and each individual signal conductor) voltage distortion is decreased and you get a much clear image.

The other job for this (as you have likely guessed from the image) is that by putting a current through it, it acts as a shield. The dual shielding not only means it is shielded from the outside world but also from the power conductors in the cable with 4 pin and 5 pin 240 variants. This was another design flaw of Naim’s originals (and why we developed the Hatpin range) because by allowing audio and power to go down the same line they created internal interference. For signal only cables you still get two layers of shielding to protect from EMI – and we could say four if we included the aluminium foil.

You may wonder why we went with the silver-plated shielding and not standard copper. Well the thing about audio is that sound quality is king, much of this understanding has been reached after a lot of testing and we feel that the silver-plated shielding is better then OFC without the draw backs discussed in the signal conductor.

Plugs

As King Arthur searches for the Holy Grail he must go through many transition stages before he is amplified as a person (huh, amplified as a person?). Whilst we want these to be as smooth as possible they aren’t as important as the journey itself. This is how we feel about plugs, where we feel that 80% of the benefit comes from the cable and 20% from the plugs. They are definitely not something to be scoffed at, but it is hard for a small company to do the necessary R&D and manufacture custom plugs.

For the XLR and RCA plugs we have decided to go with ETI Technologies’ Kyro range because we found them to adopt a no-nonsense approach to products that is similar to ours. If you are interested in what they have to say about them feel free to check out their site, but we have found that they added a layer of stability, particularly in the low to mid-range and were worth adding to the cable.

As there aren’t any HiFi din plugs around in the various configurations that we require, we are considering the possibly of making our own, but this has yet to be confirmed.”

————

Copy errors aside (my corrections are in red), I’ve got a 5 pin HatPin between my pre-amp and Hi-Cap and am very happy with it. If this new cable is an improvement then I’m very interested :).

—————

Oh, I also note that Witch Hat have spelt ‘dialectic’ incorrectly on the diagram of this new cables construction, and also, the ‘ETI Technologies’ RCA plugs referred to are the ‘Kryo’, not the ‘Kyro’...

Last edited:
"Whilst it sounds great the price of better detail is brightness, a more fatiguing and cold sound that you may have experienced with silver and silver-plated cables."

Obviously silver being a cold bright metal would make a cold bright sound, right? Seems like an excellent example of the suggestibility of our wonderful brains to proposals that seem intuitive but have no basis in science (because we are not listening to the cable, it is only used to conduct a signal).

Tim

Hi all so I said I would write more about the new Witch Hat Naim 300 Snaic’s.

They look very well made and have some very expensive XLR plugs suggesting that they are pitching for top level high end musical reproduction no compromise or expense spared. And yet from what I’ve been told they will cost less than a pair of High Lines. This is good news and it will make this level of reproduction available to a great many more people.

So how do they sound? In short, pitched against the standard Naim supplied Nap 300 Snaics, they sound fantastic!

The first thing that hits you even before the music plays just one bar, is how tonaly sweet and natural they sound.

Then you get into the music, which has much, much more rhythm, more precise timing with notes starting and stopping with pin point accuracy. They sound way more melodic with a very easy listenable quality, but totally engaging. I struggled in reviewing them, because I would continually play a track and forget what I was doing and get absorbed totally in the song. Which is exactly what a good music system should do. This was so evident on Dire Straits Sultans of Swing, which has never sounded more enjoyable with the Knopfler boy’s guitar playing and vocals, the bass line and drums all so distinctively individually separate yet creating even more sum of the parts making a more enjoyable whole. This was again immediately evident listening to the re-mastered The Beatles When I’m Sixty Four, It was so, so musical.

Harmonies were so much clearer and identifiable and I was able to join in the backing vocals and sing along with ease. I played Ken Mo’s Whole Nutha Thang and was sucked into the song singing along the whole track. This is always a critical test for me, being a part time musician and vocalist. This was also picked up straight away by our lead vocalist, Ebonni, who has a beautiful husky voice full of soul. She remarked how easy it was to follow everything with ease and without having to try to pick out the various instruments and backing singers. She also remarked how much more emotive the music now was.

Bass notes were bouncy and precise making it very easy to “walk along” with the bass line. This was so evident on the Jack Johnson tracks I played and in particular Jean Pierre from Marcus Miller which sounded epic with the lovely yet jazzy bass he plays so rhythmic and powerful with the kick drum exploding right in the pit of your stomach. Listening to Mary Chapin Carpenter’s Rhythm of the Blues where the multiple acoustic guitars are underpinned by the bass player was so much more enjoyable with the Morganas in place and disappeared when reverting back to the Naim leads.

I wrote earlier that the Morgana’s were very easy to listen to, but not because they lacked dynamics or were soft sounding. Far from it, dynamics and PRaT were outstanding with snare drums having a beautiful fast and explosive snap, exactly as should be. This made Anastasia’s Pretty Little Dum Dum so much more involving as was Lorrie Morgan’s My night to Howl. Cymbals on Paul Simon’s One Trick Pony sounded more metallic and much less tizzy and had that live sounding shimmering brass tone that so many systems fail to resolve. This was the same on Robbie Williams Mack the Knife.

The piano on Nat King Cole’s Let there be Love was just beautiful, played with such expertise and feel.

Guitars were epic. In Roxette’s The Joyride, the multiple guitars were clearly separated but were in perfect harmony. On Tommy Emmanuel’s Deep River Blues, his acoustic guitar finger picking was so precise and his strumming so rhythmic it was such a real joy to listen to, I had to pop the Kandid back in the run in groove and have another listen. The mixed guitars on Rockin Jimmi’s Little Rachel were bitingly alive and dynamic but never fatiguing and the whole track felt so “alive and real” that it had to be played twice as well.

On the Mormon Tabernacle Choir’s Handel’s Messiah the vocals were just superb and natural with that gorgeous natural pipe organ reaching deep, deep down as the bass pedals were expertly played.

Von Karajan’s Beethoven’s 9th concluding choral movement was sheer bliss with the four soloists so on note, involving and melodic.

Another important quality I should mention was that the acoustic sound stage was wider with much improved separation. Another happy bonus.

So in-conclusion, do I like those Morgana cables? No, I absolutely love them!!

For some time now I’ve been using a Witch Hat Burndy between my SuperCap and Nac 52 and albeit that it’s a very old one, the combination of the Witch Hat burndy and the Witch Hat Nap 300 Morgana Snaics has taken my music to such a new level of enjoyment the equal of upgrading from my old Chrome 250 to the current Nap 300 DR and certainly given more improvement than a DR SuperCap. There is only one problem! I don’t get to keep them and will have to buy my own pair. Oh well ce’ la vie there are no pockets in a shroud. It’s only dosh! But my oh my the Isobariks have never sounded nicer, more musical and more enjoyable.

Well done Whitch Hat.

Nic Burke says:

It’s cost £450 for a 1m stereo and £675 for a 1m mono pair. Longer lengths will also be available and there will be a presale discount across Easter Weekend.

Bit confused here.

If it costs £450 to connect two amp boxes without loss of quality doesn't that undermine the idea of having two boxes?

Wouldn't it be better to sell your two (or three) amp boxes and get an integrated?

Another thought: what is it about the difficulty of connecting two amp boxes that it requires this sort of sum to do it right?

I recommended Witch Hat Servicing to a friend based on knowledgeable and helpful comments here and don't doubt the engineering skills of the team. This sort of thing though worries me, profitable though it (no doubt) is.

Tim

advertisement

Back