advertisement

New Wharfedale - Linton Heritage 85

barryb

pfm Member
Interesting looking speaker, seems to be in the classic 2 Cubic foot box of Harbeth, Spendor et al. Did anyone get to hear these at shows recently?

Loving the optional stands that double as LP storage - nice touch, if not very pernickety audiophile.

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/linton/

BTW, have seen prices quoted around £1K or thereabouts.

linton-image-1.jpg

I really hope the only thing in common with the original Linton is the name - my dad had a pair on the end of a Leak Stereo 30, and they were really quite awful. The Linton name has been dug up and re-used since then, but not with any glory. These do look like they mean business in a sort of traditional 'BBC' way.

I really hope the only thing in common with the original Linton is the name - my dad had a pair on the end of a Leak Stereo 30, and they were really quite awful. The Linton name has been dug up and re-used since then, but not with any glory. These do look like they mean business in a sort of traditional 'BBC' way.
Not as bad my Dovedales ...but Im glad someone said it. When Wharfdale were owned by Rank by name and Rank by nature

My first "proper hi fi" speakers were kit built Denton's when I was about 14-15 and pretty good they were... Some years later I had Dovedale SP's which were also pretty good. I would have been interested to hear the Dovedale SP2 as it had an isodynamic tweeter rather than the 1" dome used on the SP. I did replace the awful purple Wharfedale/Leak original tweeter with some better ones!

My first "proper hi fi" speakers were kit built Denton's when I was about 14-15 and pretty good they were... Some years later I had Dovedale SP's which were also pretty good. I would have been interested to hear the Dovedale SP2 as it had an isodynamic tweeter rather than the 1" dome used on the SP. I did replace the awful purple Wharfedale/Leak original tweeter with some better ones!

A friend used to have a pair of Wharfdale SPs and I thought they sounded great at the time.

They were part of my “imaginary” system bought from Comet - I never had the brass to actually buy it. From memory the rest of the system was a Garrard 401 with an SME Series II arm in an SME plinth and a Goldring G900 cartridge with a Pioneer 9900 amp. I’d probably be a happy bunny with that now. Amazing to think Comet sold kit like that then.

A friend used to have a pair of Wharfdale SPs and I thought they sounded great at the time.

They were part of my “imaginary” system bought from Comet - I never had the brass to actually buy it. From memory the rest of the system was a Garrard 401 with an SME Series II arm in an SME plinth and a Goldring G900 cartridge with a Pioneer 9900 amp. I’d probably be a happy bunny with that now. Amazing to think Comet sold kit like that then.

Ah yes I used to have imaginary systems from Comet too!! I remember that Wharfedale Glendale 3XP's were my imaginary speaker of choice.. not that I'd heard them... I guess I wouldn't allow even my imagination to go as far as the biggest most expensive speakers they had... even the Glendales were unimaginably out of my league when 13! Just checked and unimaginable was £88 at the time! Spendor BC1's were £210...

I have some late 80s Rank period 505.2s which I rather like or, at least, can't find anything awful about them.

For what I paid for them, next to zilch, they are pretty impressive!

I missed this thread in March, but I'm fascinated to hear these new Lintons. A 2 foot cube 3 way with 90dB sensitivity and no metal drivers, all for £1k. It's pretty impressive.

What about the Denton 85th? Anybody running these? I wonder how they compare to the Lintons.

Ah, Tritons.
Not as good as I expected...

Perhaps they're going to bring out some updated Tritons.

Agreed on that.

It's more about the look. And the provenance.

A modern interpretation could easily improve on the sound, I feel.

advertisement

Back