advertisement

New weekday R3 jazz show

“Essex-based indie Folded Wing have a long track-record in jazz. CEO Karen Pearson produced Gilles Peterson’s BBC show for seven years and, since 2010, the company have made Jamie Cullum’s Tuesday night jazz show for BBC Radio 2.”

I’m not upset by more jazz on the wireless per se. But the above seems to confirm, as I said on the ‘Changes to R3’ thread, that swathes of R2 programmes are being moved to R3. This new time slot will occupy the current ‘Night Tracks’ and ‘Unclassified’ slot that provided an outlet for new, interesting, and highly diverse music that is largely not to be found across the rest of the BBC’s output. While it’s not exactly dumbing down, I wonder where space will be made, if at all, for the more challenging, innovative and avant-garde end of the R3 spectrum.

“Essex-based indie Folded Wing have a long track-record in jazz. CEO Karen Pearson produced Gilles Peterson’s BBC show for seven years and, since 2010, the company have made Jamie Cullum’s Tuesday night jazz show for BBC Radio 2.”

I’m not upset by more jazz on the wireless per se. But the above seems to confirm, as I said on the ‘Changes to R3’ thread, that swathes of R2 programmes are being moved to R3. This new time slot will occupy the current ‘Night Tracks’ and ‘Unclassified’ slot that provided an outlet for new, interesting, and highly diverse music that is largely not to be found across the rest of the BBC’s output. While it’s not exactly dumbing down, I wonder where space will be made, if at all, for the more challenging, innovative and avant-garde end of the R3 spectrum.
Yes it does seem a bit swings and roundabouts - it looks like Freeness is coming to an end which is a big shame.

advertisement

Back