advertisement

New watch advice

Hmm, yes, lots of options. Perhaps the cheaper and/or more robust would suit actually, save my elderly Seiko (7625-1994 dating from 1968) for when I'm not sawing wood, chipping stone or crashing through undergrowth with the dog.
Seiko SNK805. Look no further for a robust field watch that looks good, wears well and keeps good time and can be got for £60. Also available in blue, black and cream (807, 809, etc). They come with a hardwearing but rather utilitarian nylon strap that does look a bit Commando. You can obviously fit a different strap, I tried a bracelet but it didn't really suit it, I think a rustic leather one would be best. i've had mine 5 years or so, it's still great, stands up to abuse, and sees more time on my wrist than any other watches, including those that are more expensive and hence "better". If I lost mine I'd get another, either in green again or blue.

If you want classy, and a decent movement (classy bit a personal thing I guess) then I'd be looking at citizen. Seiko are a bit overpriced these days IMO but in budget, Citizen are well made, with excellent movements and very available.

Haha, superb :D. That first one looks so insane I'm almost tempted, especially for £3.99 inc. postage!

"BOAMIGO brand men sports watches 3 time zone big man fashion watch leather rectangle quartz wristwatches relogio masculino clock".

Thanks everyone. Current favourites are either a used Seiko or Citizen solar/eco or a new cheapo of some description. I really do like the look of the Seiko SNK805 and may yet plump for a new one of those if I don't have luck elsewhere.

I have a Mondaine almost identical to the one linked above. I deliberately chose it because the dial was simple and easy to read in bad light. The only problem I had with it was the strap which fell apart after a couple of years.

I had a Mondaine for the same reason as you. I had the same problem with the strap, it fell apart after about 2 years of gentle wear. One of the hands came loose and it had water-ingress into the watch face, all within a year. Never again, even though they look cute.

Skagen is my recommendation. Danish design.

The dials are easy to read, and the watches are slimmer than most of the 'manly' chunks that are out there.

I have 4 Skagen watches now. no problems except one has a felt/wool strap that I find itchy.

https://www.skagen.com/en-gb/men?cat=123

Update: In the end I bought a Citizen AN3620-51e as I fancied an eco-drive and I fancied the modern look and the bigger clearer dial. Feels nice and looks smart I reckon. I also bought a new black leather strap for my old Seiko so that now looks and feels much nicer, and I can swap between the two as the mood takes me. If the Citizen lasts as long as the Seiko then that's me sorted for life :cool:.

longer maybe...and if that movement is, as I suspect the same as in my citizen commando, then it's stunningly accurate...Now two years old nearly and I have never adjusted it. Currently 2 seconds slow.

I think that's a battery powered watch there, calorgas. Looks sharp though, elegant and easy to read. Some Citizens are almost rococo in style. It's a really good value for a chronograph.

I had a regular quartz Citizen for many years. As per Rockmeister's watch, it had astounding accuracy for the first few years. Batteries were good for a couple of years as I remember.

To me, quartz watches are not of interest unless it's a G-Shock for hardiness/a particular purpose. This embodies all a quartz watch should be.

Reason is we all have phones now which give pinpoint accuracy so a wristwatch has to be mechanical. It's as much a smart accessory as it is displaying the skill of watch making. Quartz just doesn't usually do that. I would never look twice at someone's Quartz watch. A nice mechanical piece is different. - That's just me.

However, 50 to a hundred quid is very limiting for a mechanical watch. I'd go with a Seiko

https://www.bestqualitywatches.co.u...niASO4nXKodO6pn84yVS5YRY0L77yYZousxoCuDLw_wcB

or

Orient Men's Analog Japanese-Automatic Watch with Leather Calfskin Strap FAC0000EW0 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072K5JSF5/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Seiko's sister brand.

They have genuine, tried and proven in-house movements. Something you often pay a lot for in more upmarket watches. - Downsides ... you are not getting a sapphire with these and accuracy is a little variable. Get a good one and it's as good as a certified chronometer. Another may drift 15 or twenty seconds a day though most, according to users, stay within +/- 10 secs or so a day.

I would also advise to always buy the model with metal band (if available) as they can be expensive to buy afterwards. - Leather, Rubber and Fabric straps are easy to find.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Reactions: BJP
I think that's a battery powered watch there
Yes you're right I got my models mixed up, it's a regular battery model.

Reason is we all have phones now which give pinpoint accuracy so a wristwatch has to be mechanical.
Actually part of the thinking for a new watch was that I wanted to detach myself from my phone and leave that at home when I go out walking with the dog. Like most people I've become aware of myself regularly checking it for no real reason, even when out and about in the countryside.

Yes you're right I got my models mixed up, it's a regular battery model.

Actually part of the thinking for a new watch was that I wanted to detach myself from my phone and leave that at home when I go out walking with the dog. Like most people I've become aware of myself regularly checking it for no real reason, even when out and about in the countryside.

Do you need +/- 10 second a year if you walk your dog? I do get your reason though.

Do you need +/- 10 second a year if you walk your dog? I do get your reason though.
do you need a 'nice' looking mechanical watch thats more style than use when walking a dog...what if it got wet and muddy?? Horror!!
I have a bit of a collection, 1 swiss mechanical manual wind, 2 swiss mechanical autos, and 3 quartz...they all have a time and a season, tho one does live mostly in a safe! :)

Do you need +/- 10 second a year if you walk your dog?
(As above) well, not really I guess, but the less frequently it requires adjustment the better I suppose. I really chose it for it's looks and the good reputation of Citizen for quality and reliability. Plus I do have the old Seiko to wear when I want a smooth vintage feel :)

Anyway talking of dog walking, the dog needs no watch to know it's definitely time to go!

Generic steel bracelets are available cheaply these days and are often better than the cheaper branded offerings that come with an inexpensive watch.

I would never look twice at someone's Quartz watch. A nice mechanical piece is different. - That's just me.

However, 50 to a hundred quid is very limiting for a mechanical watch. I'd go with a Seiko

https://www.bestqualitywatches.co.u...niASO4nXKodO6pn84yVS5YRY0L77yYZousxoCuDLw_wcB

or

Orient Men's Analog Japanese-Automatic Watch with Leather Calfskin Strap FAC0000EW0 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072K5JSF5/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Seiko's sister brand.

They have genuine, tried and proven in-house movements. Something you often pay a lot for in more upmarket watches. - Downsides ... you are not getting a sapphire with these and accuracy is a little variable. Get a good one and it's as good as a certified chronometer. Another may drift 15 or twenty seconds a day though most, according to users, stay within +/- 10 secs or so a day.

I would also advise to always buy the model with metal band (if available) as they can be expensive to buy afterwards. - Leather, Rubber and Fabric straps are easy to find.

While I wouldn't disagree with most of what you say, how would you know what sort of watch you are looking at when it's on someone else's wrist? Many come in both mechanical and quartz versions, and while I prefer mechanical, I'm under no illusions that anyone else can tell from a casual glance, or cares!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back