advertisement

New watch advice

calorgas

Generic middle-aged man
There seems to be lots of watch savvy people on here, so perhaps you could give me some tips.....

I'm thinking of buying a new watch, I'd like something that looks modest-ish yet classy but I don't want to spend a huge amount. So with a budget of £100 max and preferably closer to £50, what would you recommend? I'm actually looking at used watches on ebay at the mo', quite like the look of 'some' of the Seiko Chrono's and Citizen Eco-Drive watches but with my untrained eye I don't know why some seem so much more desirable than others - different movements and build qualities I guess?

Casio AQ-230 with black dial - a multifunction watch that has a classic style and is fun to wear. Oh, and it's as cheap as chips (if you live in Kensington) as well :)

61NaWxF7rGL._AC_UL320_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not so keen on the Casio and Mondaine tbh, but thanks.

Yeah I may just take a punt on a tidy used Seiko or Citizen, it's just a matter of choosing which one! My current watch is a 50 year old automatic Seiko, it's lovely and I'll still wear it occasionally but it loses a couple of minutes a week so I'd like something more reliable plus I just fancy a change.

I think of the Mondaine as being more 'style over substance' tbh'.

Seiko has a lot to offer in the price bracket that you're looking at, and I'm a big fan of the their Solar watches.

The Seiko baby grand Seiko's are fantastic watches (see my other thread) and the Seiko Alpinist too, a wee bit out of your price range unless you want an excellent condition Sarb 035 sans crown and winding stem:(

There are a good number of Seiko 5s around at under £100. More if you stretch to £150. They are *generally* accurate to better than 2 min a week. I have one and love it. If you want reliably better than 2 min pw at a budget price then quartz, solar etc are a better bet. Have a look at "Seiko 5 finder" for a few ideas.

On Pistonheads there has been a long running thread where people exchange tips on "best watch for £50". This includes a stainless steel bracelet for £5 from somewhere in China. These seem to be closing in on a Rolex clone, which is fine if you like that sort of thing. You may nevertheless get some good ideas.

Hmm, yes, lots of options. Perhaps the cheaper and/or more robust would suit actually, save my elderly Seiko (7625-1994 dating from 1968) for when I'm not sawing wood, chipping stone or crashing through undergrowth with the dog. I was a bit wary of brands that I haven't heard of (so far) if buying online as it's difficult to tell whether they're gonna be a nice feel nice on your wrist, whereas I felt a bit safer with brands I'm familiar with. Perhaps I shouldn't restrict myself so much, but I don't want something that's more fashion statement and less quality.

There is a Seiko 5 in the house actually, came from recently deceased father in law. The face is a bit scratched up but a replacement glass should tidy it up. I think my better half is planning to use it though.

Looking at long term cost of ownership (plus hassle) I'd go for an automatic or a solar power watch because battery replacement adds up if you don't do it yourself.

There's citizen eco drive, casio make some solar watches, and of course the venerable Seiko 5 automatics.

I was going to say Seiko Monster but I just looked at some prices.. Ouch, they've gone up a bit since I got mine....

I think of the Mondaine as being more 'style over substance' tbh'.

I have a Mondaine almost identical to the one linked above. I deliberately chose it because the dial was simple and easy to read in bad light. The only problem I had with it was the strap which fell apart after a couple of years.

Take a look at the Lorus range. They're a Seiko low cost brand, but they do offer great value and good quality.

advertisement

Back