advertisement

New walnut finish on Rega's Planar 1 turntable

I don't know why Rega switched to the red as their colour. The green was really nice. At lest they did settle on one colour! There was a time when they couldn't seem to make their mind up.
At least they decided to go the whole mile and stop simply painting over the old black phenolic resin laminate. Hard to find a pre-2000 coloured Planar 3 plinth that doesn't have chips out of the paint these days.

Roy Gandy long ago admitted that Planar 3 coloured plinths were originally intended as a trick to keep dealers in line wrt the requirement that every deck be inspected and setup for the customer. Occasionally, Rega would surreptitiously slip one in with an order with the intention of catching dealers out. The requirement to have dealers do the equivalent of a automobile dealer PDI (Pre-delivery Inspection) makes perfect sense, as a given deck could end up upside down for the whole of the journey from factory to dealer and lose precious bearing oil and/or have been knocked round enough to have jostled the old suspended motor out of alignment in transit. Not to mention that not every customer will be up to the job of fitting a phono cartridge, let alone get one aligned correctly. Eventually, demand grew for other than black Planar plinths and Rega filled this with a rather broad range of 7 optional colour choices.

Rega Planar 3 pre-2000 and P3 2000 optional plinth colours:
Rega-Planar-3-Coloured-Plinths.jpg

Rega P3^24 colour options:
Rega-P3-Plinth-Colours.png

Rega RP3 and RP6 colour options:
Rega-RP6-Plinth-Colours.gif

I like the new plinth. I like the smoked dust cover.

How about completing a wonderful trinity by fitting proper hinges, instead of those awful bendy bits of plastic?

advertisement

Back