Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New walnut finish on Rega's Planar 1 turntable

Discussion in 'audio' started by dave charlton, Aug 2, 2022.

1. dave charlton

dave charlton Canny member

2. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Trade: ^'- -'^

Just makes it look like a ProJect. The smoked lid is good. Means you can replace the lid on an old deck.

Rosie, Durmbo and Boris the madcap like this.
  3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I think it looks good but paying a premium for cosmetics on a P1 doesn't seem like a wise choice to me.

GruntPuppy likes this.
  4. Mr Pig

Does it cost more? I didn't realize that.

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I heard that it was likely to cost a bit more - I don't know whether that's been confirmed now. £30?

6. Locheeboy

Locheeboy pfm Member

uglier than plain black...:(

Durmbo and Mr Pig like this.
  7. stuwils

stuwils pfm Member

i like it
    Rgds
    stuart

8. John R

John R pfm Member

It's certainly different, but looks cheap n cheerful which of course it's meant to be. As long as it helps bring more into the joys and tribulations of vinyl, good on Rega!

Mr Pig likes this.
  9. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Nice to have another option I think. I just do not care for the high gloss black finish for the P3, I rather like the matte black better. Like anything, hard to accommodate everyone's taste and still remain in the business.

John R likes this.
  10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

11. cj66

cj66 pfm Member

As someone that refuses to have a black turntable since replacing a Dual 505iiDL many eons ago. I think it's much better, wood or wood-look is king. The glossy non-black colours are fun if your decor can stand it.

Andy Stephenson likes this.
  12. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Its refreshing and following a trend, Rega need to apply into entry level demands.

For me the gloss black is yesterday, much prefer matte black.

13. Andy Stephenson

Andy Stephenson pfm Member

I like it.

If I was in the market for a TT around this price, I'd prefer this one to the standard finish version, depending as ever on the extra cost.
    Of course, seeing it in the flesh, my view may change.
    Andy

14. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

I think it was wise of Rega not to attempt to make it too '70s Planar 2 like. It wasn't until I saw the following photo that I warmed to the look. Seems as bit ironic now that Rega have moved away from wood for their entry model loudspeaker, though. Perhaps we'll be seeing Kytes with this as optional front baffle finish soon.

[​IMG]

15. Mr Pig

I'm sorry but I think it just looks..cheap. Like ProJect or some other ultra-budget turntable. Worth remembering that it's not wood, it's not wood veneer, it's a plastic wrap with wood print on it. Like a cheap desk.

16. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Make it a frontgrill please.

17. Allaboutmusic

Allaboutmusic pfm Member

I like rega but I think this looks awful.

narabdela likes this.
  18. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Bit too retro for my tastes.

19. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

And yet folk used to love their faux walnut finish Pioneer PL-12D, Kenwood/Trio KD-1033, and various Duals of old.

Sure, they could have put real tree veneer on, but then folk would be expected to pay Planar 2 money for a P1. Or, they could have just left well alone and stuck with the matte black and matte white.

Regardless, the market will decide if this is worth the extra.

20. dave charlton

dave charlton Canny member

I think the walnut & black looks cool, it would be nice to see them take it further up the range.