advertisement

New Velvet Underground documentary

guey

pfm Member
Just got a mailout from the ICA, which included a listing for the new Todd Haynes directed documentary, The Velvet Underground. There seems to be a limited cinema release; and it'll be on AppleTV+

Just watched this on Apple TV. If you are a fan of the band you must see it. The first half hour is mainly background stuff on Reed & Cale but then you get a lot of great footage of the Warhol period and commentary from Cale & Moe Tucker. Really recommend it - it reminds you what a great band they were and just how radical they were for their time.

I also watched it last night. A beautiful film to watch - the art design and editing is really first rate - you get a taste of this from the trailer.

I liked the fact that the first 45 minutes focused on the lead up the them becoming the Velvet Underground and focused on the different backgrounds and personalities of Reed and Cale. I also like the fact that there were no external and unnecessary talking heads who, IMO, usually blight these things, not even Guy Garvey :). Jackson Browne and Jonathan Richman feature but they, like everyone else who features, were there at the time and add context to the story.

As a whole packages - the music, the direction, the content, it was one of the best rock documentaries I've seen.

Much to my annoyance not even dropping £879 on a new iPhone a few weeks ago (that I’ve yet to receive) gets me another year of ATV as I already had a year back when I bought my iPad. I’ll wait until it gets shown on BBC4 or wherever.

advertisement

Back