advertisement

New tweak for turntable users: newspapers!

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I've been watching videos on YouTube by a chap called Kelvin, from London, who reviews vintage gear, although sometimes newer stuff as well; his channel is called Stereo review x. Great channel btw!

Anyway, he suggested taking a broadsheet newspaper - one that's still in good, flat condition - and cutting out 6-8 sheets in the shape and size of a record and then using those sheets as a turntable mat.

I haven't got a broadsheet newspaper myself so I haven't tried it yet. But I would love to hear whether it works so if any of you guys have a broadsheet newspaper at hand and a turntable, please do give it go and let us know in what way it changed the sound and whether it was for the better.

This might be an old tweak from back in the day, I don't know. I've never heard of it before at any rate so I'm intrigued, to say the least.

I think you would need to iron the newspaper first, not sure if the printing techniques are different now for broadsheets but the ink comes off the paper if not ironed,
didn't Ring at use paper for their mat.

Would the FT give a more refined sound than the Daily Star? Would The Observer be the tube equivalent of the Daily Mail's solid state?

What a load of bull crap.

Windhoek..oh nice. I watched that guy's LS3/a and B&O reviews that somebody here linked.I find him quite an amiable chap.

I like the outrage above :D Not sure why this shouldn't work after a fashion - it's not that far from Linn's felt mat approach

I'm growing to like Kelvin. He's honest and enthusiastic. His channel deserves more attention and subscribers

I don't use newspaper but I do use brown wrapping paper with cork studs on it , I do prefer it to a conventional mat on my LP12 and my 401. Everything sounds to me anyway crisper.

I watch with the sound off, but auto-generated subtitles on, which can be fun. My newt instead of minute. :D
But the idea may have some merit, although I imagine the support will be inconsistent, and prone to movement. Someone (else!) definitely needs to test it.

Ink comes off with fat if it's offset printed. But maybe papers in the UK still printed with lead types. ;-)

I don't use newspaper but I do use brown wrapping paper with cork studs on it , I do prefer it to a conventional mat on my LP12 and my 401. Everything sounds to me anyway crisper.

Jackpot: I've two rolls of the stuff - that's what I'll be using to take the idea of using paper as a mat for a test drive!

As for Kelvin himself, I genuinely wouldn't mind paying him a visit one day - he's an interesting, likable guy!

I've now got 6 sheets of brown wrapping paper between the record I'm playing (Aladin Sane) and the platter. First impressions? It totally works as an effective turntable mat as I'm still getting all the boogie I've become accustomed to. I didn't play the LP on the felt mat beforehand so I don't have any immediate reference with which I can compare the paper - thus, I can't say whether it's better, worse or the same as using a felt mat. But, the fact is, it works!

The only possible downside is I might have to stop the turntable when it's time to flip the record over as it's probably a bit to easy to catch a sheet of paper when lifting the record off. But still, that's no big deal. I suppose the big question is, is will I stick with the paper mat or go back to the felt mat. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

advertisement

Back