advertisement

New turntable dropped off by courier. Literally!

PJD

pfm Member
Just received the Pro-ject 1Xpression Carbon X.

Courier fumbled with the box and kinda slipped, dropping from waist height, box landed side edge square on down on the concrete.

I'm thinking of all those delicate precision parts. Ofc one has to be a little bit OCD to be involved in Hifi in the first place. Don't want to be thinking about this when trying to enjoy vinyl.

Then again I've heard of the shoulder drop test, and who knows what kind of treatment boxes get out of sight.

No visible damage, would you be bothered by this?

Oh but you didn’t see how the deck was handled before that. Parcels have a hard life.
I’m pretty sure one out of two boxes delivered are dropped at some point on their way to the final customer.

Sorry to hear but could have been worse - at least they didn’t try to throw it through an open window on the first floor.

Reactions: PJD
Sorry to hear but could have been worse - at least they didn’t try to throw it through an open window on the first floor.

:)

Oops butterfingers..

courier.jpg

This delivery guy actually tried to blame the van!

To the best of my knowledge vans are passive, non sentient creatures.

Another good reason to buy from a shop.
The extra few quid pays for care, checking over service, not playing rugby with your property

Courier fumbled with the box and kinda slipped, dropping from waist height, box landed side edge square on down on the concrete.

I'm thinking of all those delicate precision parts. Ofc one has to be a little bit OCD to be involved in Hifi in the first place. Don't want to be thinking about this when trying to enjoy vinyl.

Then again I've heard of the shoulder drop test, and who knows what kind of treatment boxes get out of sight.

No, I wouldn't worry. Its new, the factory packaging will have protected it - manufacturers expect this sort of treatment.

So long as the arm was secured in the rest and the counterweight was off, I’d not be concerned in the absence of visible damage.

Maybe...

If it was new in the sealed carton then it is likely to have survived unscathed.

Yes, there are unboxing videos...

The arm should be secured in its rest & the counterweight & anti-skate weight are packaged separately.
The platter spindle is not inserted into the bearing for transit, so overall potential for damage should be minimal.
I’d check for any crazing/cracking of the cosmetic finish & check the arm bearing still seems taut. The motor mounting & arm cable/ power cable socket should also not have any play.
Should be OK but difficult to say for sure.
Hope all is well & enjoy the music!

My SL1200G had taken an impact hard enough to dent the 10mm thick aluminium top plate through the packaging, it still plays fine, though. (I'm using it until Doug Brady/Technics organise a replacement).

My SL1200G had taken an impact hard enough to dent the 10mm thick aluminium top plate through the packaging, it still plays fine, though. (I'm using it until Doug Brady/Technics organise a replacement).

Don’t hold your breath, I’ve been waiting the one I ordered since the beginning of June. That’s new, not a replacement.

I've had this discussion with a manufacturer of high end valve kit. His view was that the courier will do what's easiest. It's not his kit, he probably has no clue what it is or what it's worth... and it's heavy.
So, they'll drop stuff from the back of the wagon to the floor, and if loading, they'll 'launch' the stuff from the back to the front of the wagon. The packaging needs to be designed to cope. The only packaging I recall that was really inadequate was for some Ruark floorstanders which repeatedly arrived with damage to the bottom of the cabs due to inadequate protection.

I've had this discussion with a manufacturer of high end valve kit. His view was that the courier will do what's easiest. It's not his kit, he probably has no clue what it is or what it's worth... and it's heavy.
So, they'll drop stuff from the back of the wagon to the floor, and if loading, they'll 'launch' the stuff from the back to the front of the wagon. The packaging needs to be designed to cope. The only packaging I recall that was really inadequate was for some Ruark floorstanders which repeatedly arrived with damage to the bottom of the cabs due to inadequate protection.

I did once order some boot polish for delivery by post, assuming it was in one of those flat tins and not dreaming for one moment that it would be in a glass jar.
The only packaging was an envelope.
You can guess what a mess that made. Cheek of it was they wanted me to wrap it and send it back to them to get my refund.

advertisement

Back