advertisement

New Tubby Hayes LP this July

...I'll be pretty sick if you and Martin get a set for £20. :confused:;)
Don’t worry, it won’t happen. They will either admit they made a mistake (blaming it on computer error or some other non-human cause) or simply say their suppliers are out of stock.

Wow, CD1 is bright, to say the least! I don’t think I’d want to listen to that without tone controls, especially if I was twenty years younger. CD2 is acceptable with a flat response, but still as bright as I want it. More investigation to follow tomorrow.

Don’t worry, it won’t happen. They will either admit they made a mistake (blaming it on computer error or some other non-human cause) or simply say their suppliers are out of stock.
I went in to check another order last week and noticed album cover artwork had been added to the blank TBC square and to my shock horror it was the new Cats soundtrack album.
So cancelled that straight away.
So if anyone has pre ordered the £20 deal?
You might want to check your orders ASAP .

I went in to check another order last week and noticed album cover artwork had been added to the blank TBC square and to my shock horror it was the new Cats soundtrack album.
So cancelled that straight away.
So if anyone has pre ordered the £20 deal?
You might want to check your orders ASAP .

??? - On UK Amazon I'm seeing the same as yesterday TBC no image available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y1WQND3/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Wow, CD1 is bright, to say the least! I don’t think I’d want to listen to that without tone controls, especially if I was twenty years younger. CD2 is acceptable with a flat response, but still as bright as I want it. More investigation to follow tomorrow.
Has anyone else bought and played this set yet? I’m halfway through now, and to my ears it is all between rather and excessively bright. I’d like to hear others’ opinions.

Well my vinyl box set arrived late on Saturday and today was the first opportunity to play a few tunes from it after a morning spent resetting up my mono cartridge in a new Headshell.

I'm only three disks in so I'll reserve most comments on sound quality until I have worked all the way through and made some comparisons to a couple I have, but those are not original Fontana's. It's a beautifully presented double box, but just a little too tall to quite fit on some of my shelves where others fit. The inner sleeves are not proper tipped on covers, but scans that have a drop shadow where the fold over sleeves are. So sleeves are not up to the Tone Poet ones, but they are equal or a bit better than the BN80's.

Of the three I have played so far (Tubbs, Equation in Rhythme / Palladium Jazz Date, Tubbs in N.Y.) the pressings are excellent, very flat and quiet, equal to the Tone Poets. Great variation in the way they are recorded of course, but Tubby's rich and resonant Tone probably comes across better on these than anything else I have of his? Really enjoying the 'Tubbs in N.Y.' playing now with my Mono cartridge. As well as Tubby there is some great piano by Horace Parlan on this. So far :):):)

I've had the vinyl box set for a couple of months now and have only played Tubbs In NY, Mexican Green and the new Grits - all excellent. I have such a backlog of stuff to play: I need to slow down on buying new stuff...

Still working my way through and enjoying this excellent vinyl box set.
A heads up for a benefit for the National Jazz Archive that is based in Loughton Library. This Saturday at 2.30pm The Simon Spillett Quartet will be playing a tribute to the Music of Tubby Hayes at the Loughton Methodist Church Hall. Loughton is on the Central Line Tube and its about 15 minutes walk to the church, which is a pretty good sounding venue. Or there is parking at the Leisure Centre just around the corner. I have my tickets, but David Nathan of the Archive tell me there are a few tickets left that expect to be sold out by Saturday.

https://www.nationaljazzarchive.co.uk/posts/events/2019/12/simon-spillett-quartet

If anyone is thinking about the Tubby Hayes vinyl box Decca Records still have copies and are offering 20% off this weekend, which should bring the price down to £166.95 including delivery. Use the code DECCA20 at checkout.

It seems that it has gone back up from the much lower price of around £90 that Rough Trade were selling it for. I had paid full price from Decca on release anyway and it is still good value. Analog Planet has just published an enthusiastic review by a guy who has now sold all his originals after getting the reissue box.
https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...es-fontana-albums-1961-1969-eleven-lp-box-set
Yes RT sold it for £90, then it went back to full price for a bit, then down to £100 (that’s when I bought it) and back up to full price. I’m keeping an eye on the price to see if it comes back down - I might buy another one to keep as an investment if it does. From the apparent lack of enthusiasm for it I don’t imagine there will be a repress anytime soon.

Yes RT sold it for £90, then it went back to full price for a bit, then down to £100 (that’s when I bought it) and back up to full price. I’m keeping an eye on the price to see if it comes back down - I might buy another one to keep as an investment if it does. From the apparent lack of enthusiasm for it I don’t imagine there will be a repress anytime soon.
I had expected it to sell out quickly as the Don Rendell / Ian Carr did boxset that I missed out on, but I did get them all as soon as they later reissued again as single LP's. They only pressed 1,000 of that box set and I doubt that they would have pressed more of the Hayes box? Perhaps they did or perhaps there is not the same interest forTubby, but Fontana originals were nearly as expensive.

At £90 these were incredible value, great music and sound quality. I think Marchbanks’ suggestion of buying another set for investment if they hit £100 again is a good idea, surely better than getting 0.5% on yer savings account!

advertisement

Back