advertisement

New Top Gear series

Just surprised they managed to find an E21 323i in such good order - most have ended up being written off after going backwards through a hedge.

Harris was getting quite emosh. Brought back memories of my dad's Mk3 Cortina L in bright red. Still remember the registration YNO310L. Just like this....

40363444822_193156ff11_b.jpg

Loved it. That E21, ooooof!

The Cortina, wow! Dad had a Mk3 1.6L estate in brown. With the brown vinyl seats. XDL947L.
Then a proper car, a 1980 Saab 900 turbo. KUF896W. God I loved that car. I’d be like Harris if I saw one again.

I thought that Cortina they had was very tidy for a 1978 car. I had a Spitfire the same age (it was DYS665T, I'll never forget).

No doubt they are a bonded trio now, albeit still puerile to a degree but will never equal the more sophisticated and educated first trio. I can't remember my dad's last car; some great hulk from the fifties, no doubt, so the 'Daddies' Car' episode was a bit boring for me. The Cortinas were interesting only inasmuch as my friend and I set off for a 5,500 mile round trip (in 2 weeks) via many countries to Istanbul and back through Greece in his brand new 1971 1600E. Momentous trip through communist and very undeveloped countries and even running out of road in the Greek mountains.

Loved it. That E21, ooooof!

The Cortina, wow! Dad had a Mk3 1.6L estate in brown. With the brown vinyl seats. XDL947L.
Then a proper car, a 1980 Saab 900 turbo. KUF896W. God I loved that car. I’d be like Harris if I saw one again.

Never owned one but IIRC around 1990 I was loaned a turbo 16s for a day. Never had driven anything like it. I was driving an old Audi coupe (B2 GT 5E), and the Saab felt faster, once the turbo kicked in, and nicer to drive on the road. It just felt built by and for people who enjoyed driving fast. The Audi was fine in a straight line but otherwise a bit unwieldy by comparison. On paper, they were near identical however. just over 8 secs to 60 and about 16 seconds for standing quarter.

But my dad was driving in the 50's and 60's so it was all Vauxhall Victors and Wolsley Hornets and stuff.

Much, much better than I expected but I still can't stand that ‘comedian’. The cricketer has definitely grown into the role and the little one is coming across as being more balanced, less puppyish.

None of them were dad’s cars to me.
We were the Ford Pop, Hillman Minx generation.

Not really the point, it was supposed to be THEIR Dad's cars. My Dad's cars were mostly boring stuff like a Toyota Carina & Rover 416 (with a Rover 827 and Jag XJ6 in the early days). Still enjoyed it though.
That 323i was lovely though!

Much, much better than I expected but I still can't stand that ‘comedian’. The cricketer has definitely grown into the role and the little one is coming across as being more balanced, less puppyish.
Chris Harris is pretty much the only reason I've watched Top Gear over the past few years, not the biggest fan of Paddy and Fred, nice enough to add a comedy angle but Chris is a top class driver. I value his opinion on cars, as well as he seems a really nice bloke to boot. Some of his stuff outside Top Gear has been really interesting/eye opening, especially his segment on 'The Lake Brake Show/CarPervert' on youtube with Johnny Smith. He did a great couple of Youtube bits on his 2CVs as well!

Not seen the episode but a dad's car for me would be from a choice of three my dad had in succession.

Vauxhall Victor fd, white as in pic
Vauxhall_Victor_FD_registered_January_1968_1975cc.JPG

Austin 1800 auto red
280px-Morris_1800_1970.jpg

Then finally a Princess green
His first car was Morris Minor but I never saw that.

This naturally leads to what our kids would call their dad's cars. For the eldest, my daughter, that would be a Ford Orion mkii mocha
15359d1501218278-ford-orion-1-6i-ghia-20160906_125139_zpswozcmbnh.jpg

For my son a Renault Scenic mki red
280px-Renault_M%C3%A9gane_Sc%C3%A9nic_I_Phase_I.JPG

Chris Harris is pretty much the only reason I've watched Top Gear over the past few years, not the biggest fan of Paddy and Fred, nice enough to add a comedy angle but Chris is a top class driver. I value his opinion on cars, as well as he seems a really nice bloke to boot. Some of his stuff outside Top Gear has been really interesting/eye opening, especially his segment on 'The Lake Brake Show/CarPervert' on youtube with Johnny Smith. He did a great couple of Youtube bits on his 2CVs as well!
His views on cars align 100% with mine!

Not really the point, it was supposed to be THEIR Dad's cars. My Dad's cars were mostly boring stuff like a Toyota Carina & Rover 416 (with a Rover 827 and Jag XJ6 in the early days). Still enjoyed it though.
That 323i was lovely though!
I thought it was, as a previous poster described it, puerile.
I only had it on because I was waiting for Bloodlands.
I won’t waste any more Sunday evenings watching it.

Very cool those old Granadas...
My dad's green Princess had a black vinyl roof too, not as cool though :D

advertisement

Back