advertisement

New Tonearm for P9

Interesting, I don't recall seeing any Planar 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 selling without arm.

No. Rega decks are almost always sold as units, except the cheaper decks which are often split, but I don't know that it's such a terrible idea. If I sold the RP10 for say £1000 it lets someone get a top spec deck at an affordable price and they could use any Rega arm on it for the time being, upgrading the arm later.

If you think about it, people do that with LP12s all the time. Buy an older or Magic LP12 and upgrade it as funds allow. Theoretically, you could do that with Rega decks too.

Rega clearly don't want you to though. They have never sold a turntable without an arm, or even with a choice of arms. Linn have done that from day one.

Interesting, I don't recall seeing any Planar 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 selling without arm.
Not that I have been looking particular for a deck without arm.

My last Rega purchase was a P7/RB700.
I have, I’ve seen a P8 and an RP10 without their arms... I think they would be a tough sell to be honest!

PS, I’ve always fancied trying a P7, it’s a striking looking deck and the next level up from the already excellent P5 and the RB700 is a beautiful arm... but they seem to get overlooked!

No. Rega decks are almost always sold as units, except the cheaper decks which are often split, but I don't know that it's such a terrible idea. If I sold the RP10 for say £1000 it lets someone get a top spec deck at an affordable price and they could use any Rega arm on it for the time being, upgrading the arm later.

If you think about it, people do that with LP12s all the time. Buy an older or Magic LP12 and upgrade it as funds allow. Theoretically, you could do that with Rega decks too.

Rega clearly don't want you to though. They have never sold a turntable without an arm, or even with a choice of arms. Linn have done that from day one.
I get the logic... it’ll take you a while to sell it unless you price it low though.

Linn didn’t make a tonearm for about the first five years after the LP12 was released so it was up to dealers to supply and fit a choice of arms, with SME being the most common, followed by Grace and Hadcock.

I get the logic... it’ll take you a while to sell it unless you price it low though.

Maybe, I don't know. My experience is that if the price is fair an item will sell. I might not do it but I'll see. If I buy an LP12 I might try the RB2000 on it and if it works ok, keep the arm.

Maybe, I don't know. My experience is that if the price is fair an item will sell. I might not do it but I'll see. If I buy an LP12 I might try the RB2000 on it and if it works ok, keep the arm.
Yeah, you need to figure out what an RB2000 level arm would cost you on its own... which in fairness would be a lot, the RB2000 is a fabulous arm. My point with the “armless” P10 is that you would have to wait for the right buyer to come along, and it may take a while... not a problem if you have the financial wealth to sit on it. I only price things artificially low now if I need the space it’s using... or I might offer a good price for someone if I know they really want something but can’t quite reach.

I bought my P9 in pieces. First, a grey market RB1000 for my then VPI. Then I managed to convince a P9 seller to separate and send him my arm box, so he could sell the arm at a good price. My 1000 is rewired by Take Five Audio (Canada).

If I was in your position I'd definitely go for the latest Audiomods arm, if looking to pay a little bit less then a 2nd hand Audiomods would fit the bill.

If I was in your position I'd definitely go for the latest Audiomods arm, if looking to pay a little bit less then a 2nd hand Audiomods would fit the bill.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable buying a tonearm build by someone I don't know can build tonearms?

If I were in the position to own a P9 sans arm, I'd definitely take the opportunity to try it with a non Rega arm, seems a no brainer.

If I were in the position to own a P9 sans arm, I'd definitely take the opportunity to try it with a non Rega arm, seems a no brainer.

You could try a non-Rega arm on any Rega turntable, the arms ain't hard to remove. I'd quite like to try a unipivot myself but if I was the OP I'd want to at least know what the deck sounds like with a Rega arm first.

Also worth noting that not that many arms will fit without surgery.

You could try a non-Rega arm on any Rega turntable, the arms ain't hard to remove. I'd quite like to try a unipivot myself but if I was the OP I'd want to at least know what the deck sounds like with a Rega arm first.

Also worth noting that not that many arms will fit without surgery.

yeah, I meant if I'd bought one without. I mean why would you do that if you only intended to hear it with the standard arm? as trying to get hold of one of them would probably take an age, if you just wanted to hear a stock P9 it would be less hassle to wait for a complete one to crop up.

Personally I wouldn't bother waiting for a stock arm to show up, it's not the holy grail of TTs or anything, just find an interesting arm with Rega fitting/geometry and crack on.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable buying a tonearm build by someone I don't know can build tonearms?

Not sure what you mean by that, unless you're thinking of the kits? Most Audiomods arms are ready-built, especially the latest ones.

No, he used to sell the Classic as a kit (that's what I have on my Linn), but I don't think he sells the kits anymore. In fact, the latest series six arms don't use the Rega tube either.

Ah, totally different then. I've not looked at them in years.

advertisement

Back