advertisement

New to Vinyl

new naim boy

pfm Member
I recently bought a Technics SL-DL1 from ebay for £12.50. It has the standard p-mount cartridge and the stylus has been replaced. My preamp has no phono input so I built one - which cost a lot more than the deck. It now works a treat and I'm loving what I'm hearing.

Now I'm contemplating a Townshend rock III with Manticore magician arm and Goldring eroica cartridge.

Question is: will there be a significant upgrade? Obviously a significant difference in price. Your opinions would be appreciated.

I agree with Mr. Pig (hello again Pig!). I think it would be a significant step up. I am certainly thrilled with the Rock 7 I just acquired with an RB301 arm. Stunning sound.

What does the rest of your system look like? Though I imagine it would have to be pretty unrevealing to not show a significant improvement with the Rock. But if the Rock is feeding a boombox, the difference may not be huge.

It seems to me that with turntables, 'set up' is crucial, so an understanding of same is also crucial.

Get your arm/cartridge geometry right.

There seems to be some debate about VTA, but at least get it close.

Play around 10-20% either side of recommended tracking force.

Experiment with isolation/bases/supports etc.

Have fun!

Mull

It seems to me that with turntables, 'set up' is crucial, so an understanding of same is also crucial.

Have fun!

Mull

Not many of those parameters apply to the OP's P-mount turntable.

Have fun!

Mull

That is probably some of the most sensible, no nonsense advice I have read here for ages.

Especially the "Have fun" bit.

Nice one Mull.

I agree with Mr. Pig (hello again Pig!). I think it would be a significant step up. I am certainly thrilled with the Rock 7 I just acquired with an RB301 arm. Stunning sound.

What does the rest of your system look like? Though I imagine it would have to be pretty unrevealing to not show a significant improvement with the Rock. But if the Rock is feeding a boombox, the difference may not be huge.

My system is mainly DIY.

All JFET RIAA, Nelson Pass buffer preamp, Naxo copy crossover, 50 W class A/B Sysmasym power amps, Speakers are old Alphason Amphions (with Visaton ribbons) but passive crossover removed obviously.

I've had fun building it over some years and it leaves some expensive commercial systems, which I have had, in the dust. The Naxo is a recent addition. I used to use passive Living Voice Avatars which were very good. However, the ribbon tweeter now powered actively is truly superb. Particularly noticeable when listening to live recordings. I listened to Lohengrin last night on Vinyl. The singers seemed to be so close and moving around the room - amazing.

Have fun!

Mull

I do like the linear arm of the Technics. I guess the cartridge lets it down. Someone has suggested an Ortofon p-mount. But is the Manticore with a moving coil going to a lot better?

you just got the thing. right?if so...you arent in any position to even judge strengths/weaknesses..you are in essence, pissing in the wind...because you have no frame of reference.

keep the table. get a good cartridge. set it up properly. live with it for a while, until you know VERY WELL what you are dealing with.

you don't need to upgrade. i mean... it takes YEARS to know gear well. how can you make a rational assessment in such a short period of time? it certainly isn't a "given" that the townshend is "better". the table you have is excellent technically.

relax for a bit. you don't need to upgrade..certainly not!

Everything about it lets it down! I think your system deserves a good turntable and I think you're going to like it when you hear one.

he has a good turntable. pointing the man towards spending more money when he doesn't even know whether or not he likes what he has is not great advice, imo!

it is your money OP, but getting on the upgrade wheel is an exercise in futility. if you want to enjoy music and get the most out of the hobby(ie music) , enjoy what you have, only "upgrading" when you have identified fully what it is you are missing(or what you like most)

you have a good table, and the components surrounding it are great too. get a good cartridge, and enjoy your life.

you have a good table, and the components surrounding it are great too. get a good cartridge, and enjoy your life.

Ok, fair point. If you like what you have then the guy's right, why change it? Would something else be better? Yes, but there's always something better. Where do you stop?

As you obviously like getting your hands on though a better turntable might offer you more room for experimentation. It's your call dude.

My bad :rolleyes: The Technics is great, Teddy you are right mate.

Good advice chaps. I certainly don't want to spent a lot for no gain, hence the thread.

Honestly if you get on the hamster wheel now, you won't ever get off..that is not a good place to be. (ive spent an embarassing/disgusting amount in my own lifetime..thank God I am off that merry go round!!)

I just witnessed a guy completely new to hifi , had an extremely modest system, and he was pleased as punch. thats what it is all about. nobody told him "you need to get XXX deck before you "really" start hearing things, mate" or "spend xxx amount of money because it isnt doing your system justice"

You don't have to spend a lot or get a different deck to get great sounds..

at the very least you should give it a good 5-6 months to *really* become accustomed to what the deck does or does not do to your satisfaction. Just warning against hasty purchases for something that may not be an improvement. The technics tables are great buddy....that table is *not* the limiting factor. btw, if you want a great protractor, pm me with your email and ill shoot you one designed specifically for it, gratis of course.

if you want a great protractor, pm me

Why do you need a protractor for a linear tracking arm? I would have thought that is the stylus on P-mount carts would be at a standard distance, and the effective length on most mass-produced linear-tracking arms is not adjustable anyway. What else is there to adjust?

advertisement

Back