Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Tidal tiers

Discussion in 'audio' started by simon g, Nov 17, 2021.

1. simon g

simon g Older, wiser but no longer retired

2. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

I must admit..I thought they did that anyway

3. Jezzer

Jezzer eats shoots and leaves

Yes I saw that too. Good news for the artists. That’s why I prefer to use Tidal rather than Spotify. (plus the superior sound quality)

4. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Digging into Spotify in readiness for its entry in to cd quality.

5. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

This is good imo. The more you listen to an artist the more they get of your subscription. Hope Qobuz follow. I’d also be happy with a button to make a donation directly.

webster likes this.
  6. DavidR

DavidR pfm Member

Interestingly, if you log into your account, you will see an option to downgrade from the new Tidal Plus to standard Tidal HiFi, and save yourself £10 a per month. Great news if like me you have a Naim streamer which cannot play MQA.

DannyWin likes this.
  7. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

So "Tidal Plus" = a £10/month surcharge for the dubious benefits (sic) of MQA?

I'll stick with the MQA-free zone that is Qobuz, thank you...

tenpercenter, r0dd3r5 and webster like this.
  8. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

Del motto
    Apparently they save your data even if you leave in a huff. I’ve left twice fingering quality but they welcomed me back with no loss/hard feelings :)

9. topsy

topsy pfm Member

Hmm I think this is a good move by Tidal - Apple had already priced them out. I am considering them again at £10/month - I buy CDs of music I really like so dont feel guilty!

10. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

But Tidal Hifi has not fan-centered royalties

11. jobseeker

jobseeker pfm Member

Top tier is still €13.99 in Portugal. No Qobuz here.unfortunately all my communications from them are in Portuguese.

12. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Thanks for mentioning this. Already downgraded as I too have a non-MQA DAC.

DannyWin and Darren like this.
  13. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

So does this mean that the current £19.99 a month can be downgraded for people using Linn streamers (non MQA) and still keep the current quality level (e.g. standard 16-bit and 44.1 kHz) for £9.99 a month?

14. simon g

simon g Older, wiser but no longer retired

That may well be the case, but what is not clear is exactly what file is accessed if you have a HiFi Tier subscription. Is it a separate 16/44.1 file or a 'version' of the MQA file?

15. RoA

RoA pfm Member

Bargain

16. Dave***t

Dave***t Revolutionary relativist

That’s an encouraging first step, but roll on the day when money is properly allocated to who you listen to, rather than a pilot scheme for a small proportion of it.

17. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

Please note that if you have EVER had any sort of free trial with Tidal you will not get the 30 days free they are offering!!

Margin_walker likes this.
  18. Featsdont

Featsdont pfm Member

The recommendation from the Naim forum (including from Naim staff) is to opt for the cheaper hi fi subscription as Naim’s kit doesn’t support the formats now offered in the Tidal top tier.

19. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

This is what Tidal say is HIFi when you downgrade, so what exactly is it, standard 16-bit and 44.1 kHz or something different?

• HiFi - $9.99 USD a month with standard sound quality (1411 Kbps)

20. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

A new e-mail address will sort this

webster likes this.