advertisement

[new tesla] is this the electric car you have been waiting for?

Tesla have promised something very exciting, even I (working in the big bad oil industry) am tempted to possibly go down this route. The reality is that (i) subsidies are necessary to help offset battery costs, and these will eventually disappear (ii) leccy supply is tenuous (iii) range will always be an issue unless there is a breakthrough in battery technology. The REAL solution and one most OEMs are working on are the "plug in" electric-combustion engine hybrids which give an optimal solution to battery cost and range.

Batteries will never be the solution. Better to improve efficiency in internal combustion engines than waste money on batteries and never enough and too slow charging stations.

Golf GTE (especially if tweaked by VW Motorsport) is about as good as an electric car is in the UK at present.

Try driving any Tesla from Glasgow to London ...........
I nearly laughed my coffee into my keyboard when I read this. GTE? You're having a laugh. The Tesla Model S is about the ONLY electric car that can achieve those sorts of miles without major delays at present.

PS. I lease an i3 with the range extender and love it. Sure, I've yet to see more than 80 miles between charges, but with the REX capability I can maintain charge whilst on motorways and use the electric bit in town, but in ~3000 miles of leasing so far, we've used petrol on perhaps 100 of those miles. Total cost of travelling those miles (excluding car lease of course ;-) ) comes in at under £20, as the vast majority of our charging is done either with CYC or with destination charging at my wife's work.

So, has anyone here actually put a deposit down? I'm really seriously considering it, save for the fact that, refundable deposit or no, I want some additional details on specification, pricing and actual performance. But I may take a walk up the road to our Tesla dealership this lunchtime..... ;)

i3 looks a good car, the electric argument will move on as the argument is ongoing but building a gigafactory doesn't appear too ecofriendly, is it really a flash in the pan, does Elon really give a fig?

Elon has divorced:

TRiley_Tat1000_16Feb12_rex_b_1.jpg

Twice.

He really wants to build:

GeorgePerezIronMan017.jpg

And:

thunderbird-1-fsx1.jpg

Stephen

The numbers read back well, in 2 days 276,000 pre-orders at $1000 each so $276million in pre-orders in the bank making about $9billion in purchases if all actioned on, basic price is $35K but $42K an expected average with options added.

yes I was reading this in the mags , amazing . my mum in law tried to buy a 24k vw e-up with no success recently so perhaps things are turning for electrics

Yup, really fancy one of those. £60k is outside my budget though. Maybe when there are some 2 year olds on the used market, perhaps...

I expect I'll be seeing a lot of those iPace's around here on the London/Essex border - given there are already a lot of Tesla's as well as a lot of expensive SUV's.

I'm beginning to get tempted to replace one of our cars with an electric one, for my wife's daily commuter. I'd mostly likely go with one of the cheaper ones though as I think the depreciation on one of the expensive electric cars would most likely make it massively more expensive to run that the petrol A-Class Mercedes she currently uses to commute. The range on pure electric cars is still a big issue for me though as I drive between London and Edinburgh quite often and am now used to both of the cars I normally use for that (the A-Class or my wife's diesel SLK) being able to do the 400 mile trip without stopping, so adding in even just one re-charging stop would increase the journey time a fair bit.

advertisement

Back