advertisement

[new tesla] is this the electric car you have been waiting for?

A balloon blown up with a fake grille pasted on is better?

Every car has a front end identity symbol, most manufacturers have a designed grill for just that purpose, even the Tesla S has one to a degree.

This looks anonymous at the front end & therefore to my eyes is like a kids balloon blown up.

Every car has a front end identity symbol, most manufacturers have a designed grill for just that purpose, even the Tesla S has one to a degree.

This looks anonymous at the front end & therefore to my eyes is like a kids balloon blown up.

They could have designed a car without a grill that doesn't look like something is missing. Instead, they've left a big blank spot that looks like a grill belongs there.

I wonder if it looks like something is missing simply because we are so used to seeing something there. I see no aesthetic reason to keep the tradition of having chrome stripes up front. I think in a few decades, we'll look back at cheesy faux grilles on electric cars the same way we look at skeuomorphic design in apps. There's no reason your ebooks should sit on a faux oak bookcase on your tablet, or you diary should have appear to have a spiral binding. Glad to see the back of that.

I thought the reason for having an aerodynamically undesirable grille at the front was to protect the radiator. Silly me.

How much does a charge up at home cost?

There is one on display in our local centre perhaps can ask them there.

Batteries hold around 60kWh of energy. So it will cost you about £8 (including the standing charge element) to charge the car.

Quite like the cars but Tesla delays won't see one of these RHD UK until 2019. Model X due next year. Its all too slow to market I feel.

It does look a bit meh. They are missing a trick in rethinking car layout. London to Glasgow? I catch a plane. Living in London most of my car journeys are pretty short so an electric would work for me. The big Tesla with its extra power pack (hi-cap or Ludicrous?) does 0-60 in 2.8 sec. Having said that this one is making EVs more real world useable.

I won't be here in fifty years time so I couldn't care less but if you fancy an electric car just make sure there's a capable power station in your area. As soon as a significant number of electric cars hit the road this could be a problem. I'll bet the smart meter in your home ramps up at charging time too :D

Hi Simon, (sorry for brief OT) I don't see you post elsewhere these days and hope you are doing ok. Are you attending a bake-off in Liverpool soon? Which section on here includes news on bake-offs?

I think it looks good, and a 200 mile range is all I'd need in the real world, for 95% of the time. The interior looks clean and cool, though not as good as the BMW i3, which was the first EV I seriously considered. I could get quite excited about one of these. Tesla's range statements seem fairly realistic, I think they are world leaders in battery tech.

I think it looks good, and a 200 mile range is all I'd need in the real world, for 95% of the time. The interior looks clean and cool, though not as good as the BMW i3, which was the first EV I seriously considered. I could get quite excited about one of these. Tesla's range statements seem fairly realistic, I think they are world leaders in battery tech.

But ...

That 200 mile range, with a fully laden car in the cold, rain, dark ... 150 miles from home.

Then you do just make it home and need to go out again to somewhere that's 10 miles away ...

Or you go somewhere for 125 miles but there's no access to charging?

I'm seriously interested in why these cars appeal. Is it just for pootling? In which case why not get a

Mitsubishi_Electric_Car.jpg

Stephen

Hi Simon, (sorry for brief OT) I don't see you post elsewhere these days and hope you are doing ok. Are you attending a bake-off in Liverpool soon? Which section on here includes news on bake-offs?

Hi Gary, yes I'm attending the bake off. PM sent.

I think a battery plugin rechargeable with a hydrogen fuel cell for longer journeys could be ideal. At least you only need to lug around the one type of motor. You'd cover the 95% case of sub 200 mile per day motoring using only cheap mains supplied electricity and have the option of a quick H top up and go when you need to drive to the other end of the country.

Unfortunately hydrogen fuel cells are the very opposite of cheap.

..and hydrogen is not easy to produce (unless obtained from a conventional crude oil refinery) and then store without leakage.

advertisement

Back