advertisement

New Sonos Stuff

andyoz

pfm Member
I'm sure alot will say it's overpriced but if you're getting lazier by the year like me I like where they are going with it.

I like the look of the new amp and in wall speakers. I'm planning on building a TV wall and that amp can power 2 x speakers and has a sub output... Alot of people just don't get any further than a 2.1 setup.

I just want to sit in front of my big tellie and have decent sound come out...

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/ar...Arch_Preorder_167713_1223026&et_rid=111462965

amp-catalog.png

I’m very tempted to get one to replace my Yamaha A-S301 which is being used in a two channel AV setup. The Yamaha does not decode OTA Dolby Digital coming from the optical digital output of my LG tv which lacks the setting to change the audio output to PCM stereo. I have a workaround using a outboard OTA tuner which works fine but the Sonos would be an expensive cleaner solution.

I’d also be curious how the Sonos Amp would compare with my Exposure 15 into my Tannoy DMT 15’s as that option is more compelling.

I'm sure alot will say it's overpriced but if you're getting lazier by the year like me I like where they are going with it.

I like the look of the new amp and in wall speakers. I'm planning on building a TV wall and that amp can power 2 x speakers and has a sub output... Alot of people just don't get any further than a 2.1 setup.

I just want to sit in front of my big tellie and have decent sound come out...

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/ar...Arch_Preorder_167713_1223026&et_rid=111462965

amp-catalog.png
When you can utilise a Pi with the all of the add ons it now commands, everything seems overpriced!

Yes, they actually do continually improve their stuff via firmware updates.

I'm hoping that with Sonos's obvious volume sales over alot of more niche competitors that the amp is a pretty decent little beast!

When you can utilise a Pi with the all of the add ons it now commands, everything seems overpriced!

My key point here is Sonos is perfect for middle aged lazy ones that just want ...it's Friday, kids in bed, I've had a few wines and just want....push button...TV goes on and loud Sound comes out...it's amazing how hard that could be to do in the past!

Yes, they actually do continually improve their stuff via firmware updates.

I'm hoping that with Sonos's obvious volume sales over alot of more niche competitors that the amp is a pretty decent little beast!
Guess I took it in the wrong context as applying the the Amp specifically

I've had SONOS since it came out in the UK, my ZP80's are still working fine, it's a brilliant system. I'd say it evolves rather than improves - pedantry off.

I like the look of the new amp and in wall speakers.

I'd be interested to hear what the 'Trueplay' room correction thing does with the in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. Great idea in theory (speaking as a big Sonos fan).

I think they are being clever as a good few want a simple amp to either link to their TV and allow them to select their own speakers (or to create a simple music system), an amp with some smarts to it but not a total light show like standard AV receivers with 10.1 sound or whatever the latest flavor of the month is....

They also generate a phantom centre channel and again that's good enough for most as locating the centre speaker in a 3.1 system is hard in most houses.

I;m going to buy one to be the heart of my 2.1 system with in-wall speakers and my existing REL sub. I've actually been waiting for a product like this.

You can even buy the the bracket and mount it on a wall or upside down under a cabinet - there is a small thread in the amp casing for it. The cooling system allows for upside down mounting.

For people who just want plug and play with little fuss, I’m sure it will be a winner. It will be interesting to see how it sounds. I’m guessing a Yamaha MusicCast receiver at half the price will see it off, but that’s not really the point. I use a connect box for Spotify etc and have to say, it does work extremely well and is rock solid.

Yeah, I think the price is slightly irrelevant to target market as long as it works 99.9% of the time and is easy to setup (and isn't superseded in 2 years like Philips, Samsung, Yamaha, etc always do). Most A/V crossover products fail on all those counts.

I actually think as TV screens get bigger and more immersive most people are realising that in the home even a solid 2.1 system can be amazing.

Also, most of current blockbuster crap out there is just a pure assault on the senses with a no decent story line/acting. A proper movie on a big screen in 2.1 can be just fine for most.

Last edited:
It’s solid, goes surprisingly loud and clean, and above all else is seamless, room friendly, and accessible. I would take Sonos over Bose etc. anyday.

I have the original amp running four Kef ‘eggs’ and a sub, all situated st the back of the house.

Works very well for what it’s required to do. My wife uses it all the time when the back doors are open etc to stream stuff.

Nice to see they have issued a new version, as I was wary my original is now 12 years old.

I'm hoping that the rumoured cube sub materialises. £700 is a bit steep for what will effectively be a 3rd system but there's no alternative - 3rd party subs seem to be actively discouraged.

I just bought one and plan to slot it into my living room setup, replacing my Exposure 15 integrated amp. Will see how it behaves with my DMT 15’s. I have a Play 3 in my kitchen and having the AMP gives my wife Sonos access to better sound in the main level of the house. If it performs poorly, I’ll move it to a two channel tv setup in my family room.

advertisement

Back