advertisement

New Ryan Adams album

I keep buying up his back catalogue in the hope of rekindling some of that Whiskeytown magic...thankfully Lucinda Williams has a new album out this month too

I keep buying up his back catalogue in the hope of rekindling some of that Whiskeytown magic...thankfully Lucinda Williams has a new album out this month too

Yeah, his earlier stuff was excellent, Heartbreaker and Gold I'd say are must haves, Whiskeytown obviously essential. The later stuff all a bit meh which is such a shame.

I'm prepared for it to be a but lacklustre, but I hope it's better than i fear - better than Cardinology or III/IV or whatever it was. My favourites after Whiskeytown were Jacksonville City Nights, 29, Heartbreaker, Cold Roses & Ashes & Fire.
He is still 80% good.
I've got tickets for next Friday

Listening to this again to see if I really did enjoy it or if I should agree with the people who haven't heard it. Will report back if necessary.

Jeff A

There are some good tracks, but I don't think it's all good. There is one track that is very similar melodically to a track on Ashes & Fire, so I think this is him just being lazy.

I haven't kept up with his albums but 'Love Is Hell' is one of my all time favourite albums. It's funny how it never gets mentioned.

My vinyl arrived yesterday and I quite like it, actually listened to it on line last week as it was available on The Guardian website.
I thought Ashes and Fire was a very good album, no Gold or Heartbreaker but still very good.

29 is worth it just for "Elizabeth, You Were Born to Play That Part".

Quite like this new one on first listen. Nothing offensive there. I thought I'd read he ditched the whole album and rerecorded with a entire set of new songs in a more rocky vein. Sounds like business as usual.

Its yet another very strong album from Ryan for me too. Bit more of a rocker in parts, with a rather nice Tom Petty vibe.
My Wrecking Ball personal fave.

Also recommend checking out Jenny Lewis's The Voyager which Ryan has had a hand in.

advertisement

Back