advertisement

New Rogers LS5/9 Classic speakers.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Hi-Fi News has a review of the new Rogers LS5/9 Classic speakers.
Following on from the LS3/5a Classic.

Inevitably, they are reviewed by Ken Kessler so you can imagine the sort of review it is.
That’s an observation, not a criticism.
No doubt comparisons will be made with the Graham Audio version.

The way it’s going, Andy Whittle of Rogers will be reviving more old models.
Fascinating stuff...

I enjoyed my Studio 1’s back in the day but were a tad bass heavy in my room for which treatment wasn’t an option at the time. I sold them via a local paper and on setting them up in the guys house they sounded wonderful.

The 5/9 seems to get a lot of reviews and comments online but very little about the 5/8. I’d have thought it would be the more “classic” model of the two!

I bought a pair of very tidy Rogers Studio 1's still in original boxes and lovely walnut finish, still not plugged them in and might get them checked over, re-capped etc first. I just loved the design of them o hopefully get them singing one day although I am told they can be a bit bass heavy so if they can be tightened up in that department it could be a good experiment.

I acquired a pair of Studio 7s which needed some cabinet work.
They sounded much better than I thought they would.
The bass end improved on my BC1s and they were very smooth and open sounding.
If I didn’t own BC1s I’d have kept them.
I spoke to Andy Whittle about them and he told me he was proud of the design.

Hi-Fi News has a review of the new Rogers LS5/9 Classic speakers.
Following on from the LS3/5a Classic.

Inevitably, they are reviewed by Ken Kessler so you can imagine the sort of review it is.
That’s an observation, not a criticism.
No doubt comparisons will be made with the Graham Audio version.

The way it’s going, Andy Whittle of Rogers will be reviving more old models.
Fascinating stuff...

I looked for that review, couldn’t find it, though I found recent Hi Fi News speaker reviews. I did see a 2015 review of the Rogers LS5/9, 65th Anniversary edition, in Six Moons Audio Reviews, by one Peter Familari. An unfamiliar reviewer name. But a familiar question in these parts; will this latest edition of Speaker X (in this case the Rogers Classic) sound appreciably better/different than Earlier Edition Y...? I’ve had both the Graham LS5/9 and the Harbeth M30.1 till returning to something smaller. Both excellent, different enough for reasonable folk to prefer one or the other....Can’t help be curious about how the Rogers compares - but not enough to special order on spec....

advertisement

Back