advertisement

New Revox Reel to Reel machine in 2017

topoxforddoc

pfm Member
A brand new modular R2R machine from Revox/Horch House announced for 2017. Designed by one of Studer's old senior engineers, it will come as a playback basic machine with additional modules available for a) record and b)studio upgrades. Starting price meant to be under USD5k for the basic playback machine.

http://www.analogarts.net/project-r2r/

Looks very nice indeed. Priced to compete with a decent TT set up.

Looks great Charlie! Also a decent price considering the amount of engineering involved...

I'd love a reel-to-reel again (used to have Akai's in my youth - couldn't afford Revox).
It would have to a capable of recording too though.

Now I just need to think of something to do with it..

It has a little of the look of a C37, with a simplified tape path.

I wonder how much will be completely new and how much will simply be updated from previous models?

A wholly new design would be a massive undertaking given the small size of the likely market.

I'll go buy a hat and eat it if Revox can bring a lovely new reel to reel to market for $5k USD! People charge that for mains leads!

PS If it's just a Revox name badge on a Chinese build my hat diet will be far more modest.

IIRC the last produced tape machine of similar kind would have been the MX-5050 which was about $5K a unit, although that was 10 or more years ago. But it was also a fully kitted out recording one, $5K for playback only might be reasonable. Especially if you still have all the old Revox and Studer tooling stashed away somewhere.

PS an ex-studio Studer or a late 5050 are also on my list of possible future playthings. The guy I got my B77 from refurbs these things.

Lodgesound comes to Scalford most years with an array,

25643506990_f7ba0f2f08_k.jpg

I think that's a Sony, a Nagra and a Studer A80. The latter being the real workhorse, although it contains some very ordinary electronics*.

The problem is 'why?'. Other than the innate beauty of the things I cannot think of any purpose other than to dub valuable recordings to digital.

Paul

*When I was a BBC person I spent a few months downstairs in the cellar, or it might have been the fourth floor, where edit suites and the more mysterious dubbing suites were. I remember a call 'track 7 on the A80 pops on punch in' or something, and consulting the 6 feet of orange folders containing the diagrams. I think I just swapped some cards and hoped they wouldn't notice that track 15 popped on punch in.

Lodgesound comes to Scalford most years with an array,

25643506990_f7ba0f2f08_k.jpg

The problem is 'why?'. Other than the innate beauty of the things I cannot think of any purpose other than to dub valuable recordings to digital.

Paul,

you're correct - Sony APR5003V, Nagra T & Studer A80.

Of course, if you have more than one R2R, then you can dub the valuable recordings to more tape. That's what I do with my 2 Sony APRs, Studer A807/II and REvox G36 High Speed. That way, I can listen to my valuable recordings on new tape stock.

Paul

After listening to several "live" recordings done simultaneously on a Pro digital recorder (Nagra) and analogue tape (Studer), the best sonic performance came from tape. However I only use my two Studers for the recording and the playback of "live" recordings that I make myself using high quality microphones, as well as the playback of some valuable recordings.

Obviously today there are a number of companies today producing second generation masters tapes but at a price (£250 - £500+). I have heard some of these (all be it not in my own system) and they appear to be very good, but it seems a complete waste to me to use a good R2R machine (including tapes costing £60-85 each) just to record vinyl or CD. Reel to Reel machines were made to record live music!

... it seems a complete waste to me to use a good R2R machine (including tapes costing £60-85 each) just to record vinyl or CD. Reel to Reel machines were made to record live music!
There endeth my aspiration for a R2R upon dawning of that reality. I'll settle for the poor cousin compact cassette to live out my nostalgia with a Tascam 122 mk2 instead.

advertisement

Back