advertisement

New Rega above P10 coming?

Do I have this right?

No you don't. You're putting words in my mouth and dragging up things which have nothing to do with this thread.

I was talking to Tim Jones and the sole point of my post was to suggest that, unlike many turntables, there is a real synergy between the mat and ceramic platter and I found that any substitute I tried sounded worse. Jono13 understood it?

I've tried different mats on the LP12 and found merit in most of them. The Collaro mat is very widely accepted by Linn users for example. But Rega have developed a mat specifically for use on the ceramic platter and I think they got it right. Tim is free to try whatever he likes of course, I did it myself, but just because a cork or whatever mat works on a metal or glass platter does not mean it will work on the ceramic one. That platter is hugely expensive and adding unnecessary isolation between it and the record defeats the whole purpose of having it in the first place.

No you don't. You're putting words in my mouth and dragging up things which have nothing to do with this thread.

I was talking to Tim Jones and the sole point of my post was to suggest that, unlike many turntables, there is a real synergy between the mat and ceramic platter and I found that any substitute I tried sounded worse. Jono13 understood it?

I've tried different mats on the LP12 and found merit in most of them. The Collaro mat is very widely accepted by Linn users for example. But Rega have developed a mat specifically for use on the ceramic platter and I think they got it right. Tim is free to try whatever he likes of course, I did it myself, but just because a cork or whatever mat works on a metal or glass platter does not mean it will work on the ceramic one. That platter is hugely expensive and adding unnecessary isolation between it and the record defeats the whole purpose of having it in the first place.

Really, you found "merit" in most LP12 mats? ...Well I found almost no merit on 99% of the ones I have heard -and I've heard dozens- when compared in terms of the Tune. Problem you have no true repeatable base for personal system evaluation, no accurate and repeatable means to judge on basic "musical" terms, I -and many like me- use the Tune Method, look it up sometime.

And if your talking about the very thin wool mat that comes standard on the P10, very much like the factory supplied LP12 mat -but thinner- than that simply shows that Rega -and me- is so confident and believes in the benefit of the use of their ceramic platter that they want to emphasize it even more by using what is probably the thinnest mat I have yet personally seen, not thicker, with MORE isolation between platter & LP to help insulate the record from the platter like on the LP12, in fact you may have heard that some people actually prefer using their P10 with NO mat..

Really, you found "merit" in most LP12 mats? ...Well I found almost no merit on 99% of the ones I have heard -and I've heard dozens- when compared in terms of the Tune. Problem you have no true repeatable base for personal system evaluation, no accurate and repeatable means to judge on basic "musical" terms, I -and many like me- use the Tune Method, look it up sometime.

And if your talking about the very thin wool mat that comes standard on the P10, very much like the factory supplied LP12 mat -but thinner- than that simply shows that Rega -and me- is so confident and believes in the benefit of the use of their ceramic platter that they want to emphasize it even more by using what is probably the thinnest mat I have yet personally seen, not thicker, with MORE isolation between platter & LP to help insulate the record from the platter like on the LP12, in fact you may have heard that some people actually prefer using their P10 with NO mat..

Could you get it any more arse about face if you tried? He's agreeing with you FFS

I think mr pig is entitled to his opinion and you and Tim Jones are entitled to disagree. However you seem to have taken this incredibly personally and are coming across very aggressive.

Could you get it any more arse about face if you tried? He's agreeing with you FFS

He's fundamentally not agreeing, he's saying that the Ceramic platter is fundamentally flawed but that rega made the best of this but putting on an ultra thin mat, but it's still flawed when compared to the LP12 -in his opinion- which has a metal platter and a thicker mat ...He's also saying he's found "merit" with aftermarket mats on the LP12, I say that if you go by the tune method those mats are out of tune but more HiFi. ...I need to explain this? ...FFS!

I think mr pig is entitled to his opinion and you and Tim Jones are entitled to disagree. However you seem to have taken this incredibly personally and are coming across very aggressive.

I'm perfectly relaxed thanks, and sorry that it seems to come across this way, but I believe I'm just being blunt and to the point with Mr. Pig so that my words land clearly.

He's fundamentally not agreeing, he's saying that the Ceramic platter is fundamentally flawed but that rega made the best of this but putting on an ultra thin mat, but it's still flawed when compared to the LP12 -in his opinion- which has a metal platter and a thicker mat ...He's also saying he's found "merit" with aftermarket mats on the LP12, I say that if you go by the tune method those mats are out of tune but more HiFi. ...I need to explain this? ...FFS

Well if that's how you're reading it then we're wired up differently. Crack on.

He's about to get blocked as I'm too old to put up with incoherent crap like his.

The ceramic platter achieves what Rega set out to do and the supplied mat works with it to that end. Whether I like or dislike it is neither here nor there. If you appreciate and enjoy what Rega have done with these turntables I think you are unlikely to prefer the deck with a different mat on it.

He's about to get blocked as I'm too old to put up with incoherent crap like his.

The ceramic platter achieves what Rega set out to do and the supplied mat works with it to that end. Whether I like or dislike it is neither here nor there. If you appreciate and enjoy what Rega have done with these turntables I think you are unlikely to prefer the deck with a different mat on it.

Well here's the basics of it from one members point of view. This is not a post about the LP12, but some how you came along again like you always seem to do and make it about one.
You must realize that by now EVERYONE knows of your personal love affair with the LP12, so whenever you descend on a post discussing turntables, any turntable and talk about their faults -in your opinion- it's just understood now -because we all very well know- that it's at fault when compared to the LP12, and this constant undertone from you -at least from my perspective as a member- is getting creepy & exhausting.

And if clear and too the point is "Incoherent" in response to your personal continued undertones about all things leading to the LP12 for personal harmony then it's the way you choose to interpret it. ..But what you said here in your last post is a good start at a response from you that doesn't get completely under my skin.

I know threads can go off on interesting tangents but reminding myself of my opening post it’s head in hands time seeing it degenerate to another spat over a f#£ing Linn!

Would much rather see it talk about Brinkmann, NA, Michell, Garrard, or even arms and carts to be honest. Hell, even punk rock or the Smiths, just not Linn again, not Linn again, not Linn again… repeat infinitum at 33 1/3 times a minute.

Well here's the basics of it...

I have a good idea for you. Block my posts, as I have just done yours. Then you won't need to get so upset by them?

And anyone can read the thread and see who made it about what. Doesn't need explaining.

Have you tried it?

What is the defining feature of the P10/RP10? The ceramic platter. What does a thick felt mat do? Isolates the record from the platter and reduces its influence.

No, I don't suggest the LP12 as the only good turntable but yes, I do much prefer it to the Rega, which I did not like.

Well, I owned a 9 for a decade, so yes I've tried it, just as I've obviously tried the stock mat on my 8. The glass platters, btw, are likely to ring more than the ceramic (that's probably one reason why Rega went with the ceramic on the top decks).

Those thick delrin platters you get on things like SMEs (which I've also owned) are proudly non-resonant, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a deck that everyone likes. Lots of people don't like felt mats on different types of deck.

Your experience of having an RP10 for a couple of years and then returning to an LP12 seems to make itself felt on just about anything anyone wants to ask or say about TTs. There are other experiences.

Back to the original post - the interesting rumour (to me) is that Rega may be working on a more expensive reference turntable. Having had a P9 for twenty years and appreciated the gains in performance from the lighter, stiffer, higher tolerance engineering approach (going from a Planar 3 to Planar 25 to and P9 mkII), I look forward to this development coming to fruition. Other experiences were an LP12 back in the day.

I suppose I'm very lucky to have a goodly number TT's at my disposal, my Voyd being one that's usually favoured. But seeing this is out of the system right now (for a PS repair) the current flavour of the month is a mid 80's LP12 with a host of 3rd party parts in the mix, Norton Airpower, stripped, polished & rewired RB300 and an AT33PTG at the sharp end. Oh and Mike P's Blue belt doin' the revolving. No rush to go back to the Voyd just yet.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the original post - the interesting rumour (to me) is that Rega may be working on a more expensive reference turntable. Having had a P9 for twenty years and appreciated the gains in performance from the lighter, stiffer, higher tolerance engineering approach (going from a Planar 3 to Planar 25 to and P9 mkII), I look forward to this development coming to fruition. Other experiences were an LP12 back in the day.

Agreed. If true, it will be very interesting to see what they will do materials-wise. The issue with carbon fibre is that it is a very expensive area to get into - they would have to sub-contract the forming/moulding to someone, and in context it would be a very small part of that someone's business, so perhaps they will adopt something else.

You accused Mr. Pig of "you have no true repeatable base for personal system evaluation, no accurate and repeatable means to judge on basic "musical" terms" but surely your method of evaluating the platter and mat on the P10 is exactly the same?

Considering the technological advances Rega have already employed I wouldn't bet against Rega doing anything. The one piece cast arm tube was forty years ago and it still hasn't been copied by any other manufacturer.

advertisement

Back