advertisement

New Rega above P10 coming?

Paul L

coffee lounge for me
Speculation having watched this from Cheshire Audio this morning, he hints near the end of the video (around 17:40 onwards)

A direct drive with a proper metal platter would be nice.

I'm assuming this is a joke.

There are already lots of flavour of the month decks like that around, and an enormous second hand market for the same.

Added to which is the economic cost of Rega retooling for an approach that they don't support in engineering terms. That same cost (albeit for CF) was why they couldn't put the Naiad into mass production.

There are issues with the sound of DD decks btw, depending on the approach. And why are metal platters "proper"?

This was a half joke yes. We have Technics for that. :)
That said, I’ve never liked the slippery glass/felt approach. Felt just can’t support records properly, especially warped ones (I’ve tried the Rega mat, still have one in its sleeve!).

That’s something I really like about Regas, the felt and the way it slips against the glass: it makes swapping records while the platter spins feel easy and natural.

That’s something I really like about Regas, the felt and the way it slips against the glass: it makes swapping records while the platter spins feel easy and natural.

I know what you mean about that. However, I'm a real sucker for replacing the felt with cork or (better) a Washi mat these days.

I know what you mean about that. However, I'm a real sucker for replacing the felt with cork or (better) a Washi mat these days.

On the RP10 I found that replacing the mat with anything else screwed up the things I liked about the deck and didn't do anything for the things I didn't. It's a key part of the sound.

Worth noting that it is a viable alternative to an LP12 mat. Sounds better in many ways and is available in black.

On the RP10 I found that replacing the mat with anything else screwed up the things I liked about the deck and didn't do anything for the things I didn't. It's a key part of the sound.

Worth noting that it is a viable alternative to an LP12 mat. Sounds better in many ways and is available in black.
System engineering, everything is designed in the context of the whole product, and not in isolation.

It isn't a "key part of the sound". What utter guff.

Hold on, I thought you ended up hating the 10 and going back to an LP12, which you now endlessly vaunt as the solution to any turntable question?

It isn't a "key part of the sound". What utter guff.

Have you tried it?

What is the defining feature of the P10/RP10? The ceramic platter. What does a thick felt mat do? Isolates the record from the platter and reduces its influence.

No, I don't suggest the LP12 as the only good turntable but yes, I do much prefer it to the Rega, which I did not like.

Have you tried it?

What is the defining feature of the P10/RP10? The ceramic platter. What does a thick felt mat do? Isolates the record from the platter and reduces its influence.

No, I don't suggest the LP12 as the only good turntable but yes, I do much prefer it to the Rega, which I did not like.

All this great info from you Mr. Pig having heard the P10 "a couple of times" thank you, so much, for your thorough and thoughtful evaluation. Your an asset and champion to all LP12 owners everywhere reminding the good people everyday that "you" made the right choice years ago and your sticking to it, I commend you Sir!

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/thoughts-on-a-rega-vs-a-gyro-se.267546/page-4

No, but the platter is almost identical and the mat is the same, and that's what were talking about.

No, that is what your talking about, I/We have ZERO issues with the platter on the P10, you do.

Some how you concocted in your head that the ceramic platter effects the sound of the P10 in a "negative way" when in fact it doesn't and no one other than you thinks this.

Over the years with all the so called Linn "upgrade" parts that have come and gone there has to be a few hundred different ways to assemble a LP12 when you mix & match all these different components, but you feel that they are ALL the best turntable in the end as long as it still says Linn on the dustcover, this is Laughable!

But Rega comes along & puts a Ceramic platter on their deck and it broken because of it, in "your" opinion, when no one else thinks so.. Do I have this right?

Thank you again Mr. Pig for letting us but gimps into your Psyche on all things turntable, us mere mortals are so lucky to have such a wise one as yourself to show us truth.

advertisement

Back