advertisement

New portable stereo for my Mum :)

jonnoshore

physicist, engineer and healer
My mum is after a small stereo which will play CD and has a radio and headphone socket... If an Aux in too for her MP3 great...

and she has a budget of under £50 and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations... She isn't an Audiophile or iPod user or a streamer so... but wants a reasonable sound and it to be robust.

Recommendations?

Portable? Not seen many under £50 which work on completed items...

"Old school handle on the top thingy"

Tall ask there. Definitely looking down the second hand route there for anything half decent. My first stereo was a Matsui (dixons own brand back in the day) and that was about £70 back about 15 yrs ago! I connected about 4 extra speakers upto it to get more sound, I thought I was bad ass LOL!!!

She is not after a stereo she has a denon in the lounge... She is after a portable which she can move around the house... Maybe with a handle :)

If she already has a stereo in the house, would not a good quality transistor radio make more sense? Easy to carry around, she can listen to radio programmes in any room without bothering with mains leads, in the bathroom, on top of the counter in the kitchen while she's cooking, on her bedside table. Something like a Grundig Music Boy or a "retro" Roberts radio that will run for months on one set of batteries.

If she has a stereo already, would not a simple portable radio make more sense. She can take it around the house while she is listening to a programme and not have to worry about mains leads.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have to say that anyone suggesting:

"A new portable stereo for my Mum"

Should really get their priorities sorted ;-) it doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

Well after a few hours in Tesco>Comet>Curry's we have just settled on this little treasure :)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=150728708801

It should be here in a few days and does everything on the tick list including sounding half decent for a portable...

There was good Sony one but it was £95 without a MP3 input and a nice Roberts CD player in Piano black but that was £214 and out of spec...

Mark,
As much as I tried the seller wouldn't do a px for my Mum so I had to buy the unit instead :)

Seemed to do all the things required AND had USB input which I wasn't expecting AND has a remote control...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back