advertisement

New Porsche Cayman....6 pot and No Turbo!!!

It'll be interesting to see how Boxster/Cayman buyers respond to the next gen that'll be hybrids only before going fully electric the generation after that.

cant wait, I am about 6th on the list for a test drive of Taycan when it arrives at my dealership in mid Feb. They are running about 3 weeks late.

Yes, a few are already into it as these start coming out of warranty.

If I was a 4 pot turbo fan I'd be getting a 718 2.0 with higher than usual miles and modding it. Here's one that listed at £30k two weeks ago and is already dropping. Bet it sells for £25k. This is s 2.0T too so not bare bones spec either....no PSE but you don't want it as you'll be doing aftermarket exhaust. Also those stock 'small' rims are good for a real drivers car.

I've driven a 2.0T and you can really feel the potential. Engine revs out like a Banshi and remember the 718 has brakes and steering from a 911. This car would have been over £50k new. There loads more to follow this price point. So you're getring a reliable, mid engined, turbo rocket that stops on a dime for relative peanuts. I'd guess a Golf GTI costs more to insure as well.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910193488984?atmobcid=soc3

I know factory service intervals are crazy these days, but 22k miles on a performance car?! Jesus wept.

I know factory service intervals are crazy these days, but 22k miles on a performance car?! Jesus wept.

I queried this when we bought our 911. The reply was along the lines of it’s the same for the 911 Turbo S, so a Carrera 2 will be fine. And it was. And still is, but we don’t have it anymore.

:(

Yes, interesting times as you're seeing ICE powerplants essentially peaking technically and also on its death bed.

Lots of good deals to come during this transition.

You can get up to 20% off a new 718 4 cylinder too ATM. The biggest issue for 4 pots is that the 6 pot exists at all. Driven in isolation, a 4 pot 718 really does take on most of competition at this price point.

I am not really interested in these types of performance cars (i am turning into a climate nazi and high performance IC cars are becoming morally questionable, IMO), but are any you guys interested in the new electric offerings eg the Taycan or the tesla model 3?

as I understand it, in real world driving these new performance electric cars have the measure of pretty much all internal combustion engined cars. If it is performance you are looking at, surely electric is the way to go?

@NeilR

In a straight line they’re fast, but they don’t provide any joy for ‘drivers’. They’re extremely heavy and/or extremely expensive.

Maybe in 5 years or so?

I am not really interested in these types of performance cars (i am turning into a climate nazi and high performance IC cars are becoming morally questionable, IMO), but are any you guys interested in the new electric offerings eg the Taycan or the tesla model 3?

as I understand it, in real world driving these new performance electric cars have the measure of pretty much all internal combustion engined cars. If it is performance you are looking at, surely electric is the way to go?

Anyone excited about the new flat 6 Cayman is definitely a different audience than the EV crowd.

We will be getting beaten at the traffic lights by them though. Porsche currently have one of the most exciting EV's on the horizon (Taycan) and at the same time are making some of the best ICE vehicles in their price brackets.. An amazing car brand in many ways.

Are EVs just another con ? While we produce electricity from fossil fuel, particularly coal ?
It's not the manufacturers fault that we/the government/the utility companies can't get their acts together and provide greener electricity.

My opinion is bring them on in every shape and form; it'll mean owners of low use ICE cars 'could' continue to use and enjoy their interesting cars.

@NeilR

In a straight line they’re fast, but they don’t provide any joy for ‘drivers’. They’re extremely heavy and/or extremely expensive.

Maybe in 5 years or so?

I've watched some youtube vids of US racing drivers taking a model 3 around a racetrack and they were astonished and looked exhilarated at its performance. It is not my area of interest but I guess perhaps driving around a racetrack is not quite the same as flicking it around winding country roads?

You might want to do you own research on how renewable energy production has grown over the last ten years.

Thanks.
Not that easy (one chart had Albania at 100% electricity is from renewable which is surprising) but a couple of google sources put it at 18% in 2018 globally, so maybe 20% now.
Sounds about right but I'm sure someone will tell us if it is not.

In a straight line they’re fast, but they don’t provide any joy for ‘drivers’

I think I will reserve judgement until I get the chance to drive the Taycan. But anything lapping the Nürburgring at well below 8 minutes is bound to bring joy to the driver. What you say might apply to a Tesla, but I do not think Porsche has set out to build a boring car.

I think lapping the ring in under 8 is a played out journo's bench mark now. When a Caterham broke 8 with the old start and finish line 20 years ago it meant something to petrol heads. Now we near 7 minutes and below on the newer set up it is meaning less to people.

While we wait another 30 years to wear out our ICE cars you can do a lot for the environment by covering less miles; probably more if you could halve mileage.

I've stopped going to the office, work from home and use the phone more; think about the necessity of journeys, short trips are most polluting.

Still not sure for continental trips about the choice between drive all the way and fly / hire car at destination. Maybe one day I won't be able to justify going to see the family, maybe they'll be sent home after Boris's negotiations.

advertisement

Back