advertisement

New Porsche Cayman....6 pot and No Turbo!!!

Thanks, yes M2 gets good write ups, and lease deals look pretty good VFM, certainly against it's equivalents or the likes of a Cayman. Probably be my next car once I decide to get rid of my 535d.

That will be quite a gear change ! You will greatly enjoy it.
The new Cayman GTS 4.0 will also be a great sports car. Generally the GTS is the Goldilocks choice.

Last edited:
Hope so lol. Been self employed for the last 10 years and I do around 30k a year, so needed something with vaguely sensible MPG, hence the 535d- great frugality given the performance IMO. Now taken a PAYE job which comes with a company vehicle, so time for something a bit less sensible as a weekend car..

Fiesta 1.6 XR2 from 1986 - 865kg. 1.0 750 kg, both base kerb weights.
Modern Fiesta 1.0 Eco - 1026kg minimum. That's a 20% premium, hardly double, in a fundamentally bigger car. It doesn't compensate for the fact that 30 years on cars no longer have carbs, they have a computer far superior to anything available back then, they no longer have skinny 155r13 tyres, etc. Where's the progress?

As it happens we have one of the 1.0 turbo Fiesta's in our little fleet (it was my daughters car but is now going to my son once he passes his test) - it's the circa 125hp Titanium version. When driving it the car it reminds me of most was the 205 GTi 1.6 I had as a company car in the early 90's - power (115 v 125hp I think) and performance is about the same. The Fiesta is about 60kg heavier but is a fair bit better on fuel (40-45mpg in normal use, compared to mid 30's from what I recall with the 205). In real world performance I doubt there is much it in, however the Fiesta also has massively more equipment and much, much better safety equipment - so perhaps that's where most of the progress lies. Along with the fact that the Fiesta is merely the shopping version of the Fiesta, not the sporty model.

Some colleagues and friends have XR2's back in the day and I wasn't that impressed with them - in fact I'm pretty sure that my son's current Fiesta would be much quicker than one of those.

The new GTS is going to hurt anyone that ordered a 718 GT4 in 'Comfort' spec with a view to flipping it for overs..

I had one too, a 325i E30 Sport only 4 years ago....it was nowhere near as solid as my current 2011 BMW..and it was slow!
I'm surprised by what you say. I remember my E30 320i as being reasonably quick and fun to drive and rock-solid. Of course, it was a long time ago, but I'm still convinced it was a very well-made, no-nonsense machine. And pretty, too. Still, I'm pleased your 2011 BMW is good. I had an unpleasant feeling that BMW quality, real quality as opposed to gadgetry, had declined. Still, 2011 was 9 years ago.

As it happens we have one of the 1.0 turbo Fiesta's in our little fleet (it was my daughters car but is now going to my son once he passes his test) - it's the circa 125hp Titanium version. When driving it the car it reminds me of most was the 205 GTi 1.6 I had as a company car in the early 90's - power (115 v 125hp I think) and performance is about the same. The Fiesta is about 60kg heavier but is a fair bit better on fuel (40-45mpg in normal use, compared to mid 30's from what I recall with the 205). In real world performance I doubt there is much it in, however the Fiesta also has massively more equipment and much, much better safety equipment - so perhaps that's where most of the progress lies. Along with the fact that the Fiesta is merely the shopping version of the Fiesta, not the sporty model.

Some colleagues and friends have XR2's back in the day and I wasn't that impressed with them - in fact I'm pretty sure that my son's current Fiesta would be much quicker than one of those.

Same here, more or less. My daughter bought her own Fiesta as her first car after the learner Fiat 500 we got for both kids to learn in.

It is the 100bhp 1.0l triple and it is so lovely to drive. We did look for the 125 Titanium but could not find one in her budget but the Zetec cooking version she got still surprises me when ever I get to drive it. She has to do a fair bit of motorway driving and compared to the Fiat it is in a different league.

Anyone that buys to flip deserves all they get......

Yes, I'm fighting back the tears for them.

It's going to come down the how many GTS Porsche are prepared to make. The GTS is basically a GT4 'Touring' (except suspension).

Does anyone offer a remap for the 4 pot turbo? If they're giving them away and a quick remap makes them tasty then they seem a nice used option going forward.

Does anyone offer a remap for the 4 pot turbo? If they're giving them away and a quick remap makes them tasty then they seem a nice used option going forward.

DMS offer good quality remaps from 350 ponies to 430hp for boxster S/718. That'll make them quicker than the 4.0L, although less characterful.
will invalidate any warranty though, and up yer insurance.

I used them before for BMWs. they are very good.

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/

TBH I reckon the 345hp S I drove had blend right power/grip/balance - wit full Porsche warranty

Bringing back manual to the GT3 was another good move that they took ages to do. Waiting for 997 gen 2 prices to come down.

Specifically for the 718, Porsche were asking fans of the great sounding normally aspirated flat 6 to accept a muffled 4 cylinder. It didn’t happen.

At a basic level, every Cayman and Boxster is ‘fast enough’ to not need a turbo for performance. So it was purely for a perceived fuel economy/emissions improvement. Trouble is, as we all now know after VW, those figures were a manipulated con.

It'll be interesting to see how Boxster/Cayman buyers respond to the next gen that'll be hybrids only before going fully electric the generation after that.

One Hedgy, one non-Hedgy?

Maybe with the ancient 1980s models, but I tried pretty hard to unstick that rear end with mid corner lift off, electronics on, and I suspect ESP was preventing the worst from happening. I’m the first to admit I’m no driving hero, so very rarely turned all aids off.

Maybe with the ancient 1980s models, but I tried pretty hard to unstick that rear end with mid corner lift off, electronics on, and I suspect ESP was preventing the worst from happening. I’m the first to admit I’m no driving hero, so very rarely turned all aids off.

One-Hedgy-Unless-You-Let-It-Do-The-Driving

and

One-non-Hedgy

:)

Presently driving an M4 cabriolet. 450bhp conservatively rated and a hoot to drive. Averaging 25 mpg (which is OK) and cheap for the performance. With 2 kids the M2 wasn’t really on due to access and strapping them into seats. The Cab is what I used to call a “hairdressers car” but top down gives you the thrill and sense of speed without speeding (too much).

Previous car was an M5 which was a truly wondrous, mental thing. So fast, capable and comfortable, (and the best engine ever short of a full-on hyper car) but you needed to be going mental speeds to have fun. A license loser.

Yes, a few are already into it as these start coming out of warranty.

If I was a 4 pot turbo fan I'd be getting a 718 2.0 with higher than usual miles and modding it. Here's one that listed at £30k two weeks ago and is already dropping. Bet it sells for £25k. This is s 2.0T too so not bare bones spec either....no PSE but you don't want it as you'll be doing aftermarket exhaust. Also those stock 'small' rims are good for a real drivers car.

I've driven a 2.0T and you can really feel the potential. Engine revs out like a Banshi and remember the 718 has brakes and steering from a 911. This car would have been over £50k new. There loads more to follow this price point. So you're getring a reliable, mid engined, turbo rocket that stops on a dime for relative peanuts. I'd guess a Golf GTI costs more to insure as well.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910193488984?atmobcid=soc3

advertisement

Back