advertisement

New Planar One

per flemming

Has anyone noticed the most recent Rega Planar One
Maybe even compared to RP1 ?

The new range looks damn good and I wonder what level RP will be replaced next ?

The new range looks damn good and I wonder what level RP will be replaced next ?

Rega watchers will have noticed that there was to have been five models in the new Planar range. I didn't expect a Planar 1 so three down and two to go - my guess is two skeletal, one mid-price and one SOTA.

Whats interesting to me is where new buyers will come in on the Planar 1, 2 or 3.

Theres not a vast price amount between them.

Better to save a bit more than start hankering after upgrade modifications

The 1 should be a fine student buy :D

Good to see Rega doing well. They just keep going from strength to strength. Met Paul Darwin briefly at CES a couple years back and he couldn't have been nicer. Complimented him on his handling of all the abuse on this website.:)

Agree. They've always been a brilliant company, very good ethos and Roy is a very nice chap. Companies that look after their staff and dealers deserve to flourish and I'm glad to see they are.

When I was picking up my deck from the shop after a service I saw one of the new Rega's and the bloke in there an expert on record players rated it very highly indeed.

Whats interesting to me is where new buyers will come in on the Planar 1, 2 or 3.

Theres not a vast price amount between them.

Better to save a bit more than start hankering after upgrade modifications

The 1 should be a fine student buy :D

I think that's exactly what the Planar 1 is for, students on a tight budget or people who have "rediscovered" their record collection and want something decent but inexpensive... I expect it'll sell very well.

Rega watchers will have noticed that there was to have been five models in the new Planar range. I didn't expect a Planar 1 so three down and two to go - my guess is two skeletal, one mid-price and one SOTA.

Interesting view Dave, now the RP6 allmost covered by Planar 3 w/TTPSU and RP10 allready quite recent introduced, maybe a new seven or nine and twelve ?

I think that's exactly what the Planar 1 is for, students on a tight budget or people who have "rediscovered" their record collection and want something decent but inexpensive... I expect it'll sell very well.
Also, an improved shot across the bow of the likes of Pro-Ject, at a popular price point in an increasingly competative international marketplace.

Craig

The RP1 and now the Planar-1 have been extremely popular. I have sold many of these to youngsters, buying their first turntable after discovering Dad's collection of vinyl. Very refreshing to have the younger generation buying Hi-Fi.

The fit n finish of the new Planar-1 is superb and it offers true plug n play, ideal for the first turntable.

Also, an improved shot across the bow of the likes of Pro-Ject, at a popular price point in an increasingly competative international marketplace.

Craig

I always thought the RP1 was a better (and cheaper) option than a debut anyway, the Planar 1 even more so. It'll be a killer product at its price point.

I always thought the RP1 was a better (and cheaper) option than a debut anyway, the Planar 1 even more so. It'll be a killer product at its price point.

Agreed, however, competition from Pro-Ject* in particular would appear to have driven Rega toward a more rapid turntable product line revision cycle. No bad thing for the customer, as with every cycle comes the trickle down of performance improving innovation from the higher models.

BTW, I love Rega kit and have more of it in my home than anyone I know; often more than the local dealer does, in fact.

Craig

* Had to have a peek to see what Pro-Ject have been up to and it appears that they currently have three product lines below Debut, one line of which consists of two vertical standing decks with one plinth shaped for left handed hipsters!

Agreed, however, competition from Pro-Ject* in particular would appear to have driven Rega toward a more rapid turntable product line revision cycle. No bad thing for the customer, as with every cycle comes the trickle down of performance improving innovation from the higher models.

BTW, I love Rega kit and have more of it in my home than anyone I know; often more than the local dealer does, in fact.

Craig

* Had to have a peek to see what Pro-Ject have been up to and it appears that they currently have three product lines below Debut, one line of which consists of two vertical standing decks with one plinth shaped for left handed hipsters!

Funny thing I've noticed with Pro-ject is that they seem to bring a new, cost cut model out every couple of years, and then increase the price of the current entry model... A very backward way of doing things IMHO.

I am very Rega brand loyal and Ive never really liked Project as I just see them as new kids on the block. :)

Project do have so many different listed models that it just gets crazy in my opinion. Their entry level model is now three up from their entry level.....just where are they going as there are models which just arent needed

:) Im not saying they are rubbish but I dont feel I have to look their way

Funny thing I've noticed with Pro-ject is that they seem to bring a new, cost cut model out every couple of years, and then increase the price of the current entry model... A very backward way of doing things IMHO.
Maybe we should all have a few factory sealed Debut turntables in our investment portfolios!

Maybe we should all have a few factory sealed Debut turntables in our investment portfolios!

Might not be a bad idea... The Debut was their entry model in around 1999/2000. It stayed there for a while and they actually made a few improvements versions, but then came the genie as the new entry, and then the essential and now the elemental, each time the new model was made a bit worse and the last entry model went up a tier in the range, and the price increased too. It's an insane business model, the essential is in the same price range as the planar 1, but the build quality and finish is 1990s Argos basic chipboard furniture standard, just awful.

advertisement

Back